Hudsons at Hershey, 2015

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited September 2015 in HUDSON

(I reprint the story from the latest WTN):

The legendary AACA Eastern Fall Meet in Hershey, Pa. is close at hand, and once again Hudsonites are planning their October trek to the mecca of the old car hobby.  This year as in previous years, it's reassuring to know that even in distant Hershey, the H-E-T Club is never far away – either in Hershey itself or in outlying Carlisle, Pa., where many Club members stay during the Hershey event.

The Club will once again pitch its tent (or, more properly, park its trailer) in the midst of the flea market's Red Field from Wednesday, Oct. 7 through Saturday, Oct. 10  to serve Club members.  Here, one may renew friendships (or an overdue membership), relax in a comfy chair, enjoy a freshly-brewed cup of coffee and a doughnut, leave personal messages or advertise parts for sale on a bulletin board, or temporarily park those heavy items one has been lugging around the swap meet.  The booth's location is RNE 24-25 and it's at the east end of the mile-long flea market, near the old stadium.  It's scheduled to remain open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on each of Hershey's four days.

This year we'll have two renown guests at the booth:  Heidi Hetzer, who is currently driving around the world in her 1930 Hudson, "Hudo", as well as "Doc Hudson", the H-E-T Club's recreation of the lead character in the animated movie "Cars".  The two cars should be at the booth for all four days of Hershey.

The Quality Inn near Carlisle, 35 miles west of Hershey, has for years been a popular hostelry for H-E-T members who take advantage of the discounted room rates it provides them.  (Twenty rooms had been set aside for Club members at a group rate, but those rates expired on August 31.)  The motel fills up but rooms may still be available;  to make reservations, telephone the Quality Inn at (717) 243-6000..   The Inn's address is 1255 Harrisburg Pike, Carlisle, PA 17013;  it's on Route 11, one block west of its intersection with Interstate 81.   The exit (for “Middlesex”) is #52 (going south) or #52B (going north).

Members of the Chesapeake Bay Chapter maintain a “hospitality room” for Hudsonites in the motel's breakfast room.  Here, light snacks and soft drinks are served on Friday after 4:00 P.M. and on Saturday afternoon and evening.  Donations of snacks and drinks are gratefully accepted; contact Carl Wennberg or Rhonda Frey for further information, at (301) 609-4816.

The traditional Saturday evening dinner (6:00 PM) has been moved this year to Rillo’s Restaurant, 60 Pine Street, Carlisle, about 6 minutes from the Quality Inn via Interstate Rte 81.  Reservations are not required and guests may order and pay for their own meals.   In recent years the gathering – which regularly attracts about 40 diners – had been held at Hoss' Steakhouse.  We're trying the slightly fancier venue this year.

On Sunday the Quality Inn’s rear parking lot will be the scene of an all-Hudson flea market lasting from 7:00 A.M. to noon.  There is no charge to vendors and no pre-registration is necessary.  Hudsonites are invited to bring their excess accumulations of Hudson parts to sell.

Volunteers are urgently needed to help at the Hershey booth during all four days of the car show, and Hudsons are needed for display there.  Volunteers have the opportunity to meet Hudson enthusiasts from around the world and to recruit new members to the Club.  Those who display their Hudsons at the booth can drive into the flea market in the morning and out at night, thus saving the $12 parking fee and avoiding a long walk to and from distant parking lots.  Older Club members find this an excellent way to "do Hershey" without a lot of walking, and they can often hitch a ride to the booth from the Quality Inn and back, in one of the Hudson "display cars".

For further information on Hudson events in or around Hershey, please contact Jon Battle at (540) 364-1770 or e-mail him at terraplane@verizon.net. 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just bumping this up to the top!

We always need volunteers to staff the booth, especially on Wed. or Thursday.  Can you help?  Please contact Jon Battle at XXXdetailed@verizon.net (delete the XXX before sending).

It should be a lot of fun, "working the booth" this year, due to the interesting cars on display, and the crowds that they should attract!
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member

Jon, I am scheduled to be there on Thursday to tour the field.  As it is the only day I will be there for the flea market I can't give a bunch of time but if you need anything, let me know

Lew

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Heidi Hetzer and "Hudo" are now at the Hudson booth at Hershey, as is "Doc Hudson", the HETHS re-creation (in 4 doors!) of the lead character from the movie "Cars".  They'll be there from now until Saturday. Stop by, have a cup of coffee, relax in our comfy chairs, post a note on the bulletin board, "park" that heavy engine block you've been lugging around the flea market. 

Red field, space RNE 24-25, in the area between the old stadium (at extreme east end of flea market) and Hersheypark Drive.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Hey Lew-

I would be interested in finding a very good Commodore 6 trunk badge (for a step-down) if you happen to see one.  
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Sorry Russell, I didn't get to do much flea marketing and the little I did do didn't reveal a trunk emblem
This discussion has been closed.