Heidi Hetzer and her 1930 Hudson now arrived La USA

G'Day Folks

Heads up to let you know Heidi has arrived from New Zealand with her 1930 Hudson

Google her name to find her website location and whereabouts

Cheers Ken

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here's the webpage:  http://heidi-around-the-world.com/  Click the link entitled "Enlish Language Discussion of Heidi's Travels".

I do wish she'd alert someone in the Club with her itinerary.  It would be fun for those living in the path of her route, to come out and cheer her on.
  • Per
    Per Member
    Ken,

Is there any place on her website to leave her a message?  

Dan McNichol just reached California yesterday, having driven from Massachusetts in the '49 Commodore that he and I drove around the country in 2013-2014.  It would be fun if they could share a beer together.

Per
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I have already e-mailed her daughter asking for her U.S. itinerary.  I did this several weeks ago, and a couple nights ago.
  • Hi, I've left a message on Heidi's Instagram informing her to check in with her daughter for your email Jon cheers ken
  • Kinda neat that she's doing her own thing, on her own time.  So many are chasing her around, trying to get bits and pieces of her itinerary.  She seems to be saying "leave me alone".  "Don't call me, I'll call you".  
    What a hoot she must be...k

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited June 2015

Just had a form account created, probably for this 'transit' of the U.S.A. -

http://openforum.hetclub.org/profile/1026036/meetheidialongtheway  "Meet Heidi along the way". 

Send a PM if you have an interest, etc..

• My Buddy helped her while in NZ, even rang me to get me to come check out her car, but I missed his call.
    What an adventure she must be having.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2015
    Now that Heidi's daughter has joined the Forum she may be able to keep us posted on Heidi's movements across the U.S., although of course the itinerary will be subject to change.  Ninety-year-old automobiles will not always work as expected!  I am assured that Heidi is NOT saying "leave me alone", LOL!  She is very interested to meet Hudson (and other old-car) people along the way.  And I'm sure we would like to meet her and offer whatever help we can, to speed her on her way.
  • meetheidialongtheway
    edited June 2015
    Hello Everybody,
    this is Heidi Hetzer's daughter Marla in Germany. As you may know, Heidi is driving around the world in a Hudson. she started in Berlin in July last year, made her way through Asia, Australia, NZ. North America is next. Heidi is very interested in meeting friendly, hudsonly people on the way!
    Heidi's Hudson "Hudo" is still on a container vessel en route and is expected in Long Beach in mid July. Heidi is staying with a friend. You can track her whereabouts, make direct contact, read her posts, see photos, listen to a radio interview in english, etc. on https://heidihetzer.wordpress.com/
    The car has been running very well recently, btw, so Heidi is very cheerful and impatient to get on the road!
  • Per
    Per Member
    Hello Marla,

Dan McNichol is driving in a 1949 Hudson from San Francisco to Los Angeles today or tomorrow, near the end of a trip he started from Boston, Massachusetts in May.  He would like to have a beer with Heidi!  Do you have the address where she is staying in Santa Barbara so he can find Heidi?  I looked at the website you provided, but I cannot see how to contact her directly.  I also sent Dan the website.  Dan's email address is dan@danmcnichol.com
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    For Marla's information, here is an explanation of who Dan McNichol is, and why he is driving an old Hudson back and forth across the country!

http://www.direstates.com/meet-dan
  • Per
    Per Member
    Marla,

For Dan's latest tour, put "ENR Low and Slow" into google.  

Per Christiansen
  • Wow, that's a great mission to be on. We desperately need new infrastructure here in Germany too. 

Perhaps Dan and Heidi's paths will cross. We're still not sure when she'll be on the road again with her Hudson, since it's still crossing the Pacific and will be stuck in the harbor for a few days at least. 

Heidi is in San Luis Obispo, waiting. A meeting without the car might seem weird, don't you think? 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I didn't realize that Heidi had not been reunited with her car yet!

Once she gets underway on her journey, please keep us aware of any mechanical problems that may be developing.  In this way, we could ask people to find the needed part, and to have it shipped to the home of a Hudson enthusiast who lives along Heidi's route.  Then, when Heidi reaches that location she could get the part.

(Of course, this would only be feasible if the mechanical problem was "gradual", such as a wheel bearing that starts to rumble.  If there is a sudden failure, she would have to wait for the part to be found, then shipped to her location.)

Naturally, since the car is a Hudson, we expect there will be no further problems!!
  • News from Heidi going around the world: her Hudson "Hudo" leaves Long Beach harbor on Wednesday, July 15th. They're off to Palm Springs, Sedona, Grand Canyon and Las Vegas next. Follow her GPS tracker here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0d41tMeR3k9Q93Vlz4U0ZDZYed2evRjN3
    If you would like to meet up, please contact Heidi using the meet.heidi.along.the.way@gmail.com or leave a comment in the discussion section of her Blog, https://heidihetzer.wordpress.com

No engine troubles to report yet, all you would-be-helpers ;-) Keep your fingers crossed !
  • G'day All,

This is great information to people living outside the USA who are thinking of using or driving a vintage car trip in the USA in the future to watch out for their unregulated legal system. I'd try and only connect with likewise friendly club members to resolve issues along the way - as it seems a lot of  USA businesses are too frightened to help in most cases.

Nicht zu fassen, die Werkstätten, die auf haben, 5 Reifenhändler haben mich alle abgelehnt. Sie dürfen an meinem Auto nicht arbeiten, libilety, ich könnte sie ja nachher verklagen, wenn sie etwas nicht richtig gemacht haben und an dem alten Hudson kennen sie sich nicht aus. Javier und Mike geben mir auf dem Parkplatz eine Ecke und einen Wagenheber. Sonst mache ich alles alleine,aber sie schenken mir auch ein paar Splinte .

"I can not believe the workshops that have 5 tire dealers have all turned me down . They may not work on my car , liability , I could sue indeed afterwards , when they have not done something right and to the old Hudson they do not know their stuff . Javier and Mike give me in the parking lot , a corner and a car jack . Otherwise I 'm all on my own , but they give me a couple of pins."

• TwoFortyTwos
    TwoFortyTwos Member
    edited August 2015
    Hello all Hudson Lovers,

I was fortunate enough to be on Heidi Hetzer's path on her way around the world! I thank those of you following her on this forum to bring it up so that I was able to arrange meeting her.

Heidi introduced us to "Hudo" (oodo). A mix between the word Hudson and its previous owners name, I believe, if I remember our conversation correctly! :) it is amazing that she has been traveling around the world in a 1930 Hudson Eight, with original engine and wooden spoke wheels. Just was a great opportunity to talk with her.

She asked me some questions that I was not able to answer and was wondering if some of you had some answers or insight.

She said that the Hudson has been just going through water. With it being 90 degrees and above the Hudson has been running hot and she has had to add water frequently. This happens most of the time on steep grades. She says that she travels about 50 miles per hour on average. She was wondering if there is something wrong with the Hudson or if it is normal for it to do this. I remember her saying that water will go up through the the overflow, but does not see any evidence of leakage.

While in New Zealand, she was having issues of the Hudson bogging down. Someone told her to change something and it helped the Hudson drive much better and seemed to breath better. I cannot remember what she said they had modified to help the Hudson run better. So, if anyone has insight on the Hudson going through water regularly, if that is normal or not for the age of the vehicle and engine.

She would also like to know about how many 1930 Hudson 8's were made and how many are still surviving these days.

She also is missing a hub cap on her passenger rear wheel. She purchased a hubcap on eBay, but it does not fit. The hubcaps are the type that are threaded, there are pictures of the caps below. The last photo is a threaded cap that does not fit. I just wanted to post these to see if anyone had a hubcap that matched the first couple of pictures. Thank you.

Very cool experience for my wife, daughter, and I! I was very thankful that Heidi would stop on her way and talk with us and share her experiences!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited August 2015
    Two, iif you're at the National, buttonhole Carl Weber.  He has a '30 (convertible, no less!) and is knowledgeable in early Hudsons.  He might even have a hubcap for Heidi, amongst all his parts.  And he may know about the mysterious "fix", as well as the water usage situation.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Dell Fast in Fort Worth Tx knows 30 Hudsons too
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Go to a parts store and buy some "water wetter."  Could help considerably.  Has Heidi considered that a 50-50 anti-freeze solution has a much higher boiling point?  Could try that too.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

My guess would be compression leaking into the cooling system from a head gasket or worse yet...A crack in a valve seat or cylinder.  Maybe a block sealer treatment.. Like BarrsLeak ?

A well equipped radiator shop (are there any?) would have a test for carbon dioxide in the coolant.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Its Monday, and Heidi is steaming in Seattle!

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/ulsEdYnd/img_2203_dvd.mp4
  • Seems that Heidi lost her wheel cap - replacing it with a tin can which has an expiry date of June 2016

Talk about the 1930's depression revisited??!!

• She should draw a triangle with sharpie and color it in for the center!
  • Per
    Per Member
    Jon,

I'm at the meet, and have shown Carl Weber the picture (of the hubcap, not the beer can!).  He agrees that it is proper for a 1930 Hudson.  He has not-so-perfect hubcap of this type at home.

Per
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Later in the summer, when Heidi breezes through Attleboro (!!) Carl can stand by the side of the road holding the hubcap out, so Heidi can grab it as she drives by.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Heidi is about to cross the border heading into North Dakota from Canada.

You can follow her, here:  http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face /viewspots.jsp?glId=0d41tMeR3k9Q93Vlz4U0ZDZYed2evRjN3
  • Posted on     

Hello dear friends,

I wanted to be sure of what I write to you, so I had to keep my hands still a day and wait. Now I can reassure you: I have not been arrested, even kidnapped, did not go to sleep. My GPS is not out of battery power. But still something is out of order.

After passing Canadian border crossing towards USA, Hudo suddenly began to smoke. Many thoughts shot through my head, I had just had an oil change done in Morden, about 50 km before. I had Canadian dollars and trust the mechanics in Canada more than the Americans, who do not dare work on Hudo, for fear of liability. We rolled out of Canada, white smoke rising and the engine stops. I rolled onto the shoulder and that was it.

While I was busy working on the car a US customs agent arrived. She brought me 2 buckets of water, then came a second policewoman, then a policeman. They asked me to return to the checkout building and wanted to call AAA or a towing service. I definitely needed to leave my current location. Which direction to take? I prefer to return to Canada. The mechanics there were more reliable. So I had to negotiate with Canadian customs. 3 US officials pushed me back 100m to Canadian territory, under a roof, where the GPS not longer worked (no satellite).

So I stood there and did not dare to start, because water was running out front and back. Here’s where my virutal co-pilot came into play, Svend, who found me a few weeks ago in Vancouver, at the Indian Niinu, and proceeded to take care of me all thru my days in Canada, suggesting routes, lodging, restaurants and sites. It was great, just what I had hoped for in a co-pilot!

But back to the border. Svend organised a tow truck within an hour which took me 2 km to Emerson for 120 USD. The shop was still open at 10 pm, because Rob always works monday nights. It was pretty clear that the head gasket must be broken. Under Hudo was „mayonnaise“, the oil and water mixture well known to me. Rob said, no problem, my father knows about it. The next morning, Father Frank was there and you could tell he knows old cars. We both made phone calls until we has found the gaskets at Carl Weber in Massachusetts for an acceptable price. Then we unscrewed the cylinder heads and shocked by the damage. All cylinder full of water. Good thing I had brought the cylinder head from the old engine we changed in Ferntree Gully, Australia. Frank is very excited that I have something like this in my luggage. He told it to every visitor, because in the meantime it has become widely known among the 670 inhabitants of Emerson that there’s an old woman here traveling around the world.

At 5 pm it is dead silent here. No car, no one, nothing, so lonely I was not in my life. Scary. No other guest at the motel, no tourist at the campsite. But Hudo is in the garage behind door no.1. I can see him through a window slit. Now we wait for tomorrow for Fedex and maybe I can continue. I have again lost 3 days and will miss a few appointments I’ve made. I will not schedule any more appointments because I can not rely on Hudo. But he surprises me again and again. Why did he stop right between the two countries? Doesn’t he want to go back to the USA, to his homeland?

I read on my calendar:

„Enjoy the seasons,

they may be low tide or flood;

life is like tides,

times are bad,

then good again.“

Tomorrow is a new day, we will grab it cheerfully, then everything will be fine.

All the best,

Heidi

49.005552 -97.207822
    Emerson, Manitoba, Kanada
This discussion has been closed.