Oil filter leak

I was feeling good after I cleaned and painted my '49 262, I even got new decals and a C3 oil filter for my bypass filter cannister. Went to start it up and oil poured out from under filter lid. I had used the original gasket (that didn't leak before) and even Right-Stuufed it to the lid before installing.
Should there be another washer or spacer under the 7/8" bolt that holds the lid down? Or do I have bigger problems? 
Thanks

Comments

• Generally the gasket is once only use and replace - unless its copper and you just reheat it before replacing.

Go buy some gasket paper and cut out another gasket - its really cheap stuff to buy and make them yourselves

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Air,

There should be a rubber or fiber washer under the 7/8 bolt that holds the lid snug, you should not be able to turn the lid by hand after you snug it down.  I have been using the same rubber gasket under the lid for years.  The rubber gasket that comes with the new Fram C-3 filter are too large.  Are you sure that you have the oil lines connected back correctly?

John Forkner

This discussion has been closed.