35T air filter side tube

My 35 Terraplane has a small copper tube that attaches to the underside of the air filter and drops down about 16 inches and just dead ends. It has a bracket that bolts it to the intake manifold. Can anyone tell me what it is for?  Did it attach to something in a former life? It seems like it would bring in unfiltered air to the carb. but I do not know how the interior of the filter is constructed.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Sounds like the vacuum fitting for an Electric Hand.  Did your car ever have this feature? If not, maybe someone lost the original air cleaner / silencer housing, and got one from an Electric-Hand-equipped '35 (or later) Hudson or Terraplane.
  • Thank you for the feedback. I do not know if the car ever had an electric hand. I have not found any other evidence that it had one.

I presume I can just blank it off and be good to go. Is there any way to open those filters up? Mine seems to be sealed permanently. I would like to get some dents out of it without drilling holes and using a slide hammer to pull them out.

Thanks again------
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If it isn't badly damaged you might possible trade it for a regular silencer without the tube.  Someone out there may have the regular one and want to obtain an original "tube version".  Stranger things have happened.  (For example, I have a '37 that never had Electric Hand, yet I hope to hook it up someday.  However, I only have the "regular" Terraplane silencer.)  You could post your trade here, and also send it to the WTN where it will have a somewhat wider audience.
This discussion has been closed.