Overdrive solenoid----again

I am performing the overdrive solenoid check as in the manual.  On a new 6 volt Optima battery,  my solenoid won't hold the pawl rod out during  the electrical bench test. It chatters, but will not stabilize.   I DOES seem to work properly though, on a 12 volt battery.   

The number on the solenoid is clear and reads  1118134.   Can someone confirm this is the proper solenoid for a 6-volt '50?   If it has been changed in the past, I'll be looking for one to trade.  

Thanks, Keith

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Keith go to my website and select transmission on the left navigation menu. Once on the page select over drive solenoid ID on right lower info list.
    Enjoy
    Happy Easter
  • Thank you Ken.   Looks like I may have something from another car.  Numbers don't show up here...k
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited March 2015

These links usualy won't work on here , but here is your solenoid listing. Delco

http://restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/show_pdf.pdf?n=7853

Shown for 1949 Hudson

• keithfullmeryahoocom
    keithfullmeryahoocom Expert Adviser
    edited March 2015
      Ding! Ding! Ding!   Now it's beginning to make some sense.  Thank you, too, lostmind. 
     I knew my engine was from a '49.   Appears that the transmission and overdrive is also.  Evidently the 50 was different.   So it looks like the solenoid is for a 6 volt.  Now to try the "rebuilding" to see if I can stop the chattering effect...k

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Keith,

I had the same issue on my 50 a few years ago.  I took the solenoid apart and found a small piece of hardened steel was sitting inside the case.  I traced it to a broken snap-ring at the top end end of the plunger, NAPA has them.  The solenoids are real easy to take apart and put back together.

Hope this helps.

John Forkner
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited March 2015

A '41 to '49 solenoid is supposed to chatter if power is supplied to its #4 terminal  (the "pull-in" coil terminal).

To bench check it like it works when installed, first apply power to the #3 terminal of the solenoid (the "hold-in" coil), and while maintaining that power to terminal 3, put power to the #4 terminal (the "pull-in" coil) . . .  the plunger should extend and stay that way 'til you remove power from the #3 terminal.

This discussion has been closed.