308 block number two

Majumbo
Majumbo Expert Adviser
So I was tearing apart block number two since block number one was eating itself from the cooling jackets. While disassembly to send out to the machine shop I noticed a crack in the number 6 exhaust valve seat. I followed the crack right into the cylinder. Has anybody had any luck sleaving? Anybody know some one who can do this? Or should I junk the block and find another 308 that might potentialy be junk because of my previous luck

Comments

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    Jake,
    Looks like it might be a while before you get to installing that kit. I wouldn't junk that block just yet but I'm sure you'd like to move ahead on your project asap. I have a 308 with what sounds like a similar crack in the same place. I believe the engine was run without the coolant manifold in place but it was dis-assembled when I got it so I can't say for sure. I intend to try crack repairs using the Lock-n-Stitch methods in the future, and a seat insert as well (duh). Although it might not be a candidate for a high-performance engine, it may last forever in ordinary service. What better way to find out than to try it?
    The point: if there's any way to save a Hudson block, do it.
    Frank
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited April 2015
    FYI
    IVE always trIed to use an uncracked block but after their hot tanked the Shop always seem to find a tiny crack. Ive had them repaired a few different ways and some ive left alone over the years and they all seemed to hold ip well. Actually there is no water up where those cracks appear from seat into cyl...
    Incidently, Ive read.Online flat head V8's are notorious for a lot of cracks in their blocks and they just reuse the blocks repairfing only the largest cracks,
  • Majumbo
    Majumbo Expert Adviser
    I work for a Peterbilt dealer as a tech and we use this guy, he's a mobile machinist and cuts all the counterbores for the liners for all of our Engines. He repaired a cracked block on a cat c9 by drilling and pinning then welding. I'm gonna ask and see what he can do but the bottom line is that the crack is in the cylinder. The only way I can see repairing would be the drill pin and weld, a new seat, and a sleeve but that's just my opinion. I don't want to have that on my mind while I'm going down the road I guess
This discussion has been closed.