differential ratio 51 stepdown hudson hornet 4dr. to low

looked on google said mine was a 410 ratio is that so?  thats to low.  is there a hog head or gears that would work out of something eles? who would have what i need? i would like to have a ratio of low to mid 300s thanks.

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    The only Hudson built rear end with a low ration was the 51 hydramatic unit. with a 3:58 .   If you have a Dana /Spicer unit the lowest ratio supplied to Hudson was 3:07.   Dana 44 units have a ring & pinion that will interchange with many other Dana ratios. With Hudson built rear ends-thats it. No interchange as Hudson built their own.   Dana 44's came out in mid 1952 but will retrofit in all stepdowns.
  • The 410 is great for drag racing......
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    To retrofit the Dana to earlier StepDowns, you have to replace the entire axle housing, right?  You cant fit the Dana gears into the Hudson-built housing?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Correct. Completely different. The Dana or Spicer has a bolted on rear cover and the gears are set up and adjusted in the housing. The original Hudson had a removable carrier. You set up the ring and pinion with the gear assembly out of the car. The same way the modern Ford 9" and 8.5 are done.
This discussion has been closed.