Bell Housing Question

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor

I cannot find a part number or illustration of the Hydra-Matic  bell housing. I think they are all the same except the jet which is smaller diameter and the transmission has a different input shaft spline.  I am trying to determine if 1951 thru 1954 are actually the same.. How about 55 ?

The 48-54 parts book is no help. Can't even find a BW bell hoiusing!

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Dave, the Hydramatic bell housing is listed in the "Engine" section.  Group Nr. H-6, Pg 85 in the '48-'54 parts book.  Shows 2 different ones for '51, different one for '52-'54.
  • SuperDave
    Thanks Park & Ken. The transmission must have been changed, since the bolt pattern on the blocks were the same. I wonder about the 55 being different due to the flywheel and crank differences in the later block..
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited March 2015
    One respect in which the 55/6/7 hydramatic 308 bell housing differs from the stepdown variety is that the hash starter motor sits higher up on the block. 

The hash bell housing may be a bit shorter because of the shorter crank. I have an aluminium one and it is surprisingly thin and light considering it has a hydramatic hanging off it.

EDIT 
    The hash 308 hydramatic bell housing is 6.25" front to back

• Walt-LA
    Walt-LA Senior Contributor
    Park, I now have an H-51 Transmission attached to a bell housing which came out of a '54 - as I have  a '54 engine in my (''51) Hornet. Apparently the transmission to bell housing  fit is the same for both the later '51 transmission and the '54 hydro. Would like to Know if that's a general rule so that I could use the earlier H-50 trans. which was originally in the car. Walt-LA
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor

Walt . . .  sorry but I don't have any personal experience with the specifics of the Hydramatic bell housing interchanges.  I merely noted and provided the different numbers from the parts book.

(I did have a couple of Hydramatic Hudsons back in the fifties, but the only thing I ever did transmission-wise was to swap out the '51 Hornet's tranny with a dual-range from a '52 Pontiac).

• SuperDave
    From what I have experienced and what the "book" says.., The bell housing must match the transmission..so An H-50 tranny must use the bell housing designed for it. .I think I can say with some confidence. .That the engine (block) bolt pattern is the same 48-54 both 8 and 6 engines. Of course the jet is another animal. So if there is any difference in bell housings..,  It's because something changed in the transmission.. I would use the bell housing that was intended for the transmission used. 
This discussion has been closed.