47 Truck Gas Tank

I have pick up in need of a gas tank or repairing the old one. Does any one know of a gas tank that is available today that would mount up and fit in my truck. I am trying to spend less then the repair of my old one.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FY
    ReNu repairs tanks nicely and there are few Companies that make new custom anks but not cheap.  walking thru a Swap meet I seen a new tank that I thought might fit my Truck. The guy told me it was from an early '80's Camaro.they made into a Stock Car installing a Fuel Cell

The Camaro Tank had an Electric fuel Pump mounted front top center which I removed to install a Sending Unit & Float Assy by re drilling the Pump Lid. The Camaro Fill Tube was on left side which I cut near the tank then slid a pc of hose on the outlet to connect onto the Hudson Filler pipe. Its been 13 Yrs ago so dont recall all the detail but it practically bolted up out of sight with similar straps and still there.........
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

I've had good luck cutting a hole in the top of the tank, wire brushing it and painting inside with tank sealer.

Caution!  Drain the gasoline out first, then wash it out with kerosene, which will dissolve the rest of the gas but won't leave explosive fumes.  Wash the kero out with soapy water and rinse. No way should you get near it with sparks or flame until it doesn't smell like gas.  My brother started welding on an 'empty' tank once,and it started rolling around and chasing him.  It swelled up so they could never get it back in the car.  On the other hand, Old Howie fired up his Jeep and ran a vacuum cleaner hose from the exhaust pipe to the tank neck and welded the tank hole shut.  I stood back but it worked.  His theory, Hey, there's no oxygen in there, that all burned in the Jeep. 

I cut a hole big enough to get a cordless drill and wire brush in there.  Pay particular attention to the area where the pickup goes, as there used to be a screen, and some of it may still be there, and if you leave it, it will trap sealer and make it gooey.

When you're done, replace the top cutout with solder and/or JB Weld. 

I'm doing another one now that was full of holes.  Fiberglassed the whole outside first, which plugged up the big holes.

I've got 10 years on the one  I did in the Commadore, with no problem.

If you have stinky gas to get rid of, put about a quart or two at a time in a barrel, and dribble about a 15 foot 'fuse'.

Light the fuse, stand back, and watch the fun.

This discussion has been closed.