Ampco top oiler lubricator

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I received an email advertising the above as an item sold in the 50's to help lubricate valves,etc. through sending Marvel Mystery oil as a mist to the valves via a PCV in the manifold or vacuum through the carb.  It mounts on the firewall.  Are any of you old timers familiar with this device and, in light what lead free ethanol gas is doing to our engines, is this worth buying?  

Comments

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I have a Marvel Mystery Oil oiler on my 46 truck.  I think it does work.  The valves were very ticky tacky (made some noise) when I put it on.  They are now considerably less noisy and the engine seems to run smoother.  for my money it is worth putting on an old tired engine with sticking valves.  For a new rebuild I don't see any need.

Jay

• JFromm
    JFromm Senior Contributor
    Used it for years. Also add it to my oil every time I change it. What age makes one an old timer?
  • Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    I have one on my 54 and have it plumbed to my twin h with Ampco carb spacers for an early dodge engine. I did it for looks and I believe the valve guides appreciate the lubrication. The Ampco system you get is new old stock and built to a quality standard you won't see often anymore. Its a jewel. I'm thinking you could put ZMAX or any other fluid in it you may want to experiment with. Marvel Mystery Oil for sure. I just turned 60 and don't mind at all asking for the senior discount but "old timer" brings up visions of Gabby Hayesimageimage
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Very nice thanks for sharing Chris
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I went ahead and bought one before they sold out.  They only had 16 left in stock according to the website.  After I bought it, I was struck with the fact that the windshield wiper wires were going to get in the way of putting it on the firewall.  Thanks Chris for posting the picture of your unit.  I think I can either install it the way you did yours or put it on inside of the fender well.  I've never seen the engine compartment of a 54. Does your car still have the old windshield wiper cables like my 48?  
  • Chris Smith
    Yes on the cables, I spaced out the unit about an inch or so to clear them with some metal tubing
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    It sure would be helpful if you could post a picture of how you did that.  BTW, I'm 63.  When I mentioned old timers, I figured I would get a response from the guys that were actually driving these cars in the fifties, not someone younger than I.  Anyway, thanks for the pics you've posted already.
    Jason
  • Chris Smith

Home Depot has 4 ft long metal pipe/tubing 1/2 OD and #12 14x 1 1/2 long self drill screws. I cut three 1" pieces to space it out enough to clear the wiper cables. You could also put it where the windshield washer bottle goes or near it if you have one.

imageimage
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Sweet.  Thanks Chris.
    Jason
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited March 2015

Neat looking engine oiling device.  Bet it gets comments and questions when you pop the hood at a cruise night or even a Hudson meet.  I suppose the main reason for using this versus just adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel tank is convenience and perhaps being able to regulate the amount of oiling to the upper cylinders.

By the way, I see these AMPCO oil kits are available, NOS (they claim a finite stock from the 1950's), by going to ampcolubes.com.  Also, a fair amount of these NOS kits are up for sale on eBay. 

Dan

This discussion has been closed.