Odd Bumper Guards

cpr3333
cpr3333 Expert Adviser

My car has a set of bumper guards that I have never seen on another Hudson.  I have a picture of the car with the bumper guards taken in August of 1950 so I know they've been installed since it was almost new.  My father's uncle bought the car new.  My father tells me that his uncle was not the kind of guy who would be adding things to a car so my best guess is that they were installed at the dealer before he bought it.

I'm not on Facebook but I understand there was some conversation about them on the Wildrick Facebook page.  I hear it was mostly focused on whether or not people liked them.  I don't really care about that.  They are on the car in every picture I have of it over 65 years so they are staying.

What I'm interested in is their origin.  Has anyone ever seen anything similar? Could they have been a JC Whitney type accessory that just didn't sell very well?  Could they be something that the dealer custom made? 

Attached are a few pictures from the late 50's/early 60's shortly after my father bought the car.  (I don't have the earlier pictures scanned yet).  You can see how they look now here: http://wildrickrestorations.com/january-31%2c-2015.html

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Chris, I expect you are talking about the "extra" guard on the front and back.  I have not seen one like the one on the front.  I have seen a few that have the pipe bent in a different way, and a few that went across the full front bumper but not one like this.  I have seen the one on the back several times.  My guess is that this was a dealer option and not a Hudson option.  But, like you, they would stay on my car.  I think they look great and do have a purpose...  They are great if you back into a wild pig or gator...

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Brownie,

Yeah, I'm talking about the tubular things that mount behind the normal bumper guards.

Another good use - we hung blankets over the back one so the bumpers of the Hudson and our '64 Buick wagon wouldn't be damaged during a push start.  That may have been done more than once but I definitely remember it being done in 1973 - the last time it ran before being rebuilt last year.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

Chris,

Is your car home yet?

• Browniepetersen
    Chris, If you check out Doug Wildrick's  web site he has just finished a car that has the back bumper just like yours....
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     I thing that was for a high end car just for looks services no purpouse 
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited March 2015

Dave,

Not yet, but it's getting close.  I think we're just waiting for the side visors to come back from the plater.  Probably just as well that it wasn't done earlier since the weather is just now getting good enough to make the trip.  I'll probably be calling you about transportation options in the next week or two.

Brownie,

I don't know if you're serious or having fun with me so I'm going to assume serious and answer as such: the just finished Hawaii green car at Doug's place IS my car.  I haven't seen any others with the same thing.

Charles4d,

I agree that they don't seem to serve much of a purpose but the Pacemaker was hardly a high end car.  Maybe an attempt to make it look higher end?

• Browniepetersen
    Chris, You got me on that one.  I had no idea that your car was with Dr. Doug...
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

When ever you need the trailer, just holler.

See you at the celebration of cars this Saturday?

ler.

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Brownie,

I thought the link in the original post made it obvious but I guess not.  Good eye though to spot the same bumper guards.

Dave,

I may be there but not with a car.  The Hudson is still in Indiana and I haven't had time to deal with the Buick's starting issues.

This discussion has been closed.