262 valve clearance cold

snowshoe90aolcom
snowshoe90aolcom Expert Adviser
The manual says .008 in.  and .010 ex. at operating temp.  Is the cold setting  .010 in. and .012 ex.?   1950 "502" 262 engine bored 30 over.

Comments

• Per
    Per Member
         Walt Mordenti recommends significantly greater clearances.  Before he takes a long, high speed trip, he sets his valves to .020 in. and .020 ex.  I don't remember what he recommends for normal use, but it is more than .010 in. and .012 ex.

Before I took an 11,000 mile trip last year in my 1949 Commodore (equipped with a 232 engine) , I adjusted the valves cold to .010 in. and .012 ex.  A few thousand miles before the end of the trip, three of the exhaust valves gradually used up their clearance.  The compression measured cold was normal, but when the valve length increased with temperature, these exhaust valves were not closing all the way, causing loss of power.  Luckily I corrected this before any of the valves got burned, so the engine runs normally again. Now I will follow Walt's advice!

Per
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    Thanks Per....Maybe Walt will chime in. I had no compression on the #1 cylinder...turned out the exhaust valve had NO lash and was always open. I was told the motor was rebuilt and there is a new intake valve on # 1 still as shiny as the day it was installed, but after checking some of the lashes on a few valves, none are the same....makes me wonder.  Terry
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited March 2015
    FYI

I also set the valves closer to Walt's recommendation especially the Exh rather than the Factory Settings which must have been when very Hot.
  • I went with TS 78-3

ALL HUDSON OWNERS 1948-54 SIXES (EXCEPT JET) January 1978
    Valve Adjustment
    The following is a valve adjustment chart furnished by Jack Clifford for use on all "232",
    "262" and "308" six cylinder engines when setting valve lash with a cold engine. Jack says it is
    faster and more accurate than following the procedure outlined in TS 77-12, dated May 1977.Cold Valve lash Adjustment: Intake .012" Exhaust .019"

• snowshoe90aolcom
    Thanks     I did get a response from Walt on the other site........  014int. &  .017ex    with an explanation so I'm going with those settings.    Terry 
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Bill

I do not see the chart.

Lee O'Dell
  • Lee, It's in the Hudson Tech service bulletins TS-78-3 that are posted with all the service manuals.

I read thru the service bulletins and found it when I was rebuilding my 262.

I just copied and pasted the specs listed above.

The TS also shows the order of adjusting the valves.

This discussion has been closed.