Bringing my 1939 112 back to life (I hope)

PaulButler
PaulButler Administrator

After nearly 5 years I am trying to bring my 112 back to life. I have done all the requisite bits with oil etc. and am now trying to get a tune out of it.

I have a brand new battery fitted , am getting power to the distributor but nothing going out to the plugs.

My immediate thought was that the points weren't opening so I turned the car over with the cap off and couldn't see that they actually were. So my first question is ; is there an easy way to test this without actually taking the distributor out? Given that the distributor is situated in the most awkward of spaces and I'm not the smallest man in the world it's hard to actually get a view on it.

I just need pointers from the people who know out there as to where I should concentrate my efforts

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You're getting high-tension power to the distributor....right? If so, I guess the coil is okay.

Have you tried a different condenser?

I'm assuming the rotor is okay?

How about the timing?  When you parked the car, was it running okay?

One other possibility: the wire going in through the side of the distributor has become grounded due to bad insulating grommets at the entry point (which is where, I believe, you actually fasten the points).

Regarding the problem with working on the distributor due to inaccessibility:  I always remove the distributor to work on it (like, to change the points).  Two things are necessary: first, to "chalk" the location of the rotor in relation to the distributor, before you remove it.  That's because there is a spiral gear on the distributor that will allow it to be installed in any orientation.  You must be very careful about this.  The other consideration is that -- if you remove the bolt (holding the distributor in) at the mounting plate, be sure to re-install with correct orientation in terms of the timing marks there.  I use "Liquid Paper", brushed around the mounting plate, which leaves a sort of "footprint" showing precisely where the plate was, when I removed it.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Thanks Jon ; I should have said I swopped the rotor out. The condenser also sprang to mind and I have a spare which I'll try out.

The car was running fine when I parked it ; it's been quiet for the last 5 years due to fiscal issues of course!

If I think I'm going to be pulling the distributor (which is a possibility)  I will make sure I mark everything before I do.

I'd really like to get the old girl running and moving even if it it's just up & down my drive

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited March 2015
    Paul-

Not sure what kind of condensors y'all have over across the pond, but we are inundated with the Made in China variety over here and suffer with a less than 50% success rate on whether you've got a good one or not.  I've gone through 3 or 4 in one tune-up.  Something to keep in mind.  

Post pics!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     I'ts unlikely to be the condensor if it was running when you put it away, more likely the points oxidised.  Try pulling a folded strip of 400 sandpaper between the points.  It's also unlikely to be the points not opening, as it was running beforehand.   You can check with a multimeter at the  coil, you  should have a circuit to ground at the terminal that goes down to the distributor. Use the ohms setting, with no  power on.   It should read zero ohms, and open circuit when the points open.          
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Thanks all.

I've moved on a little ; I get a spark now but it's appearing to be very weak. That said she ALMOST started yesterday ; nearly fired up!

The weather has closed in over now so my play time has been curtailed but it's looking better.

Just waiting for this heat wave to arrive ....

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Paul,

Are you using fresh gas?

John
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Hi John,

I am indeed ; I drained the tank as much as I could and put fresh gas in there

Paul

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Moving slowly forward on this but hit another snag!

First thing I have done which made life a lot easier was to remove the inner fender guard so with the car jacked up in the air and properly secured with axle stands getting to the distributor is a lot easier.

I was playing with it the other day and noticed a strong smell of petrol ; when I looked petrol was seeping out of the join between the carb and manifold so somewhere along the line that gasket decided to let go.

So I need to replace that now. Guess these things are just sent to test us :)

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Gosh, Paul, you don't suppose that the thing is flooding, do you?  If (for example) the needle valve in the carburetor had stuck in the open position, the carb could be flooding petrol into the manifold so that petrol leaks out every which way!  And of course in that eventuality, the weakness of the spark matters not at all.  The car will never start.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited March 2015

Hi Jon,

Oddly enough I pulled the carb off earlier today and guess what was in the manifold :)

A rebuild kit is on the way

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited March 2015

I said a rebuild kit is on the way ; I should have said that a rebuild kit is on the cards.

Can I have recommendations of who best to get one from please Hudson friends!

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Paulargetype !
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Of course! I've dropped him a PM ; thanks Jerry
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator

Ordered a kit from Paul so the carb can now be sorted. Little steps all the way!

This discussion has been closed.