Trans Removal

48Sed
48Sed Senior Contributor
Has anyone removed a trans with overdrive attached to a 262 from a 46 without taking the engine out?
I see the trans crossmember is not removable and there is little room behind the trans to slide it back before it hits the frame.. 
Thanks

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited February 2015
    FYI

Hey, before I would take out the Engine I would remove the crossmember rivets then remove & re-install the crossmember using 3/8" bolts. Personally, I did not remove an overdrive, but I did replace the Hydromatic behind the 262 in my '46 Truck by removing the crossmember......
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Ol  racer
    I just looked at the trans again and I think I have to move the trans back a bit more than a Hydro to get the input shaft to clear the clutch.
    If I could get the Gov. switch off it would make more room plus remove the rivets I wonder if the trans will tip downward to get it out?
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited February 2015
    Well it was a thought. I dont know anything about stripping the OD..
    You wont be able to tip down the back because the OD will be in the tunnel and need to pull it rearward 4" or so to clear the Press Plate. Perhaps dont remove the Crossmember rivets (which isnt EZ unless have the equip), just remove the radiator, disconnect linkage, fuel line, Exh Flange, then lift Mtr up slightly in front athen slide forward a few inches.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

I've replaced a clutch in an overdrive equipped 46 Hudson 8 , but I didn't remove the trans , just slid it back.

I worked from the inside with the cover removed.

I think if you slide it back , you can remove the bell housing bolts and separate it from the trans , than both will come out through the top.

Remove the front seat completely , eat your Wheaties , it's heavy.

Good luck

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Better yet, use a cherry picker going in through an open door.  It's easier.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    On a different note, I want to take the engine out of my Commodore Six without dragging that heavy OD transmission with it.  Any thoughts on the pros and cons of leaving the transmission in the car?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Cut a2x4 to fit in the frame  and block it up to support it. I've done it before.

A little tricky getting the clutch lined up going back in , but very doable 

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Recently I pulled the 262 with overdrive out of my 47 PU with the help of Jairo Medina. If your time has any value I would bite the bullet and remove engine and trans as a unit. It will take less time pulling the whole shebang as a unit and will be a heck of a lot easier to mount the trans back onto the engine outside of the car to reinstall than to fight lining up both inside the car. Also, you can make it look pretty again. Then again, if you are a body builder, the exercise wrestling with a heavy transmission may do some good, or not.

Have fun.
    Lee O'Dell

-

This discussion has been closed.