Can you bend interior door handles?

When I had the seats and door panels redone on my 1947 Hudson pickup, the upholsterer made the door panels out of 3/8" plywood, and used cotton batting and black vinyl to cover them.  They came out looking great. BUT. The relative stiffness of the plywood and the thickness of the cotton results in the window crank handle scraping on the vinyl.  I tried unstapling the vinyl and removing the cotton batting from behind the area where the crank turns, but I also found that the 3M industrial adhesive that I use does not adhere to wood. So, while the door panel is a bit thinner in that area, it is not enough to make a difference.

If it were possible to bend the window crank handle outward, that would solve the problem. But, I assume the handle is potmetal and would snap if I tried to bend it?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to address the problem of the window crank rubbing on the door panel material?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I would go one further than Ken - old pot metal WILL fracture if you try and bend it.  this is a common problem with upholsterers, they use  backing that is too thick, and use too much padding.  And they never seem to think "How is this going to affect serviceability - can this carpet be easily lifted if the floor boards have to come out," etc. 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If the handle is held on by a pin through the handle and shaft, try drilling another hole closer to the end of the shaft and/or the handle ???? Would that buy you enough room?
  • Dave, That likely would work better. IMHO.    Drill the handle not the shaft.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    I would tell the upholstery guy that he created the problem with his non-professioal work.  3/8 plywood plus is not even something you would consider doing yourself.  Tell him to re-make them properly and your problem is solved.
  • I agree with SOT. Go back to the actual cause of the problem and correct that. Moving the hole will also lessen the handle/shaft engagement making the handle a sloppier fit than before (it's probably sloppy enough as it is) and may cause the handle to cock and break when used.
    Just Frank's opinion.
  • Going back to the upholsterer is not an option, since the work was done over 30 years ago. (I've had the car stored for a loooong time.)  Since the vinyl s stapled to the wood, it can be removed and reused, and the wood would make a good template for a proper door panel.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I don't know, nobody guarantees their work these days!
  • bartibog1
    bartibog1 Expert Adviser

I had the same problem with one door on my restoration  removed winder and welded extension on it drilled a new hole and all worked out great . cant tell it was done

steve

This discussion has been closed.