1933 Hudson experimental V-type engine

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
I spotted the following discussion over on the AACA Forum.  It shows a patent granted to one Clarence Powell, "assignor to Hudson Motor Car Company", for a V-type engine, in 1933.  Application was made in 1929.  The new design was said to be an improvement on an earlier design for a V-type engine originally granted to Stephen Fekete, Chief Engineer of Hudson, back in 1916.  So it shows that the company was indeed investigating more modern powerplants than the old straight sixes and eights, way back when.

Here's the URL:  http://forums.aaca.org/f166/hudson-vee-engine-385857.html

Incidentally, if you haven't already done so, I heartily recommend tuning into the AACA Forum.  It's really big, and has sub-forums for many car makes as well as categories of discussion.  Of course, the "Hudson" forum there, is rather puny (to say the least!) compared to either of our H-E-T  forums!  You do not have to be an AACA member to join but anyone (member or not) may view the discussions.  (I think I'm right on this!)

Comments

• The late Bernie Siegfried also spoke of a 'V' engine Hudson had or was involved with.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2015
    Here is the story on that later "V" engine, as told to me by an H-E-T member in Tennessee.
    In the early 1950's when Hudson desperately needed a V8 engine to remain competitive, they went to the Le Roi engine manufacturing company, which made farm equipment engines.  Le Roi made a 327 cid V8, which Hudson was considering for the 1955 models (I guess this is before merger talks with Nash grew hot & heavy).  I think Hudson bought one or more prototypes and Bernie was involved with the project.  Bernie said that the engine worked out pretty well in testing; valves were setup to run 2500 RPM. However, it was later decided that the engine would be impractical for automotive use for several reasons: 1). The Le Roi company's capacity was too small to supply the quantities that Hudson would need, 2). the valves were too narrow, and 3). the crankshaft did not have enough duration.

Somehow Bernie ended up with one of the engines and after his death it went to a friend (possibly a co-worker at Ford, where Bernie had worked after leaving Hudson).  The H-E-T gent that I spoke to, purchased that engine in Amarillo, Texas.  (These are from old notes; I hope I have it right!)
  • KTRON
    KTRON Member
    edited January 2015
    Jon, that is very interesting. Have you ever talked with Ed "The LeRoi Man" Malcolm of Missouri? He has a tremendous amount of history on the LeRoi engine company, perhaps he has some information on the LeRoi/Hudson engine? When I was looking for parts for one of my LeRoi engines, he informed me that LeRoi did not have the facility to cast their engine blocks, and contracted Waukesha's foundry to make them. Both companies touted high nickel blocks and long stroke low rpm engines. Ed's family had a two cylinder hopper cooled pump installed on the farm in 1938. I will quote from an email conversation I had with him; "The engine was started up toward the first of march and except for service, not shut off until the end of august. It had 100 gallon gas tank and three times a day it was checked. About every 3/400 hours it was shutdown to change the oil and be checked over. It was never allowed to cool down and in the fall the water was drained out as soon as it was shut off so there is no rust in it. the carb was locked so it ran all the time at constant rpm. It was taken home and the mag was rebuilt every year as that was considered the only possible weak link and was kept all winter in a heated room.. IT DID THIS FOR 69 YEARS. It has never been taken apart and does not need anything yet. Put the years and hours together and it works out to well over 250 000 running hours. I run nothing but non ethanol gas and if you crank it over slow it starts the first turn."  Its extreme reliability is what got Ed into collecting LeRoi engines. He owns a few LeRoi prototype engines now, all of which have "SAMPLE" cast into the block, and the only known engines of the type which exist. Waukesha bought LeRoi in 1956 and destroyed all of LeRoi's records, so very little about the company is known online. Ed has a lot of literature for these engines. I will give him a call and see if he knows anything abut this Hudson V8.

Chris
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Chris, thanks for this information and I would appreciate your talking to Ed about the mystery engine.  If I can get hold of the fellow who told me that he has the experimental V8 on which (Hudson engineer) Bernie Siegfried worked (and which was owned by him after Hudson closed down), I could ask some questions about the engine he has -- to see if it is in deed a Le Roi, or if it was truly a one-off experimental by Hudson.

When you talk to Ed, please ask him if my notes are correct -- is it really a 327?
This discussion has been closed.