1949 Hudson Coupe - thoughts as to what it's worth?

Hello Hudsoners - a buddy of mine is interested in purchasing a 1949 Hudson Coupe (although it was advertised as a sedan). We are still gathering more info on the car, but here is what we know thus far. Exterior of the car looks very clean in pics...chrome in good to great shape...no obvious dents, or rust. (I believe this is a Brougham, but not certain?) Interior has been updated very poorly...bench seat removed and replaced with some awful leather-like poofy ivory colored seats front and rear. Dashboard has the clock but speedo, and all the other fixins were removed and replaced with not so nice modern ones. Not even sure on the engine yet...I believe it's a 6, but that is all I could obtain thus far. Brakes, tires, fuel-tank are brand new, and some glass is new (windshield I believe).

With what we do know up to this point (engine does turnover, but I do not believe fully running...my guess is carb needs good cleaning, and a standard tune-up, spark plugs, wires...) am tying to understand approximate value? When I just see the outside, I feel like it might be worth trying to redo all of the interior and mechanicals just because it has such a nice starting point with the body, but thought I would toss it to the pros for some entertaining discussion. I think it's a great looking car and I am trying to get my buddy to go for it. ( I don't want to share asking price until I get your thoughts as I do not want to sway to jury! :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

From the photos it's a Super six Brougham. Body and paint work looks like very poor quality ,

from what I can see in photos. I'm pretty sure you'll find it was rusted and patched.

$1550 -$1800 from your description.

• Ouch! Very glad I asked... I thought this particular car being a coupe in decent condition would be closer to 7-10k.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I pretty much agree with lostmind.  It's hard to tell from the photos, and with Hudsons, a large determining value factor is how much rust is in the perimeter frame (especially in the rear) and the bottom of the sheetmetal.  Even from those two photos, the bodywork looks poor.  All the new stuff inside the car from your description is also a big de-valuing factor.  Another, scary prospect is the "not running", which can be a simple or problematic fix (cheap or boiiinnnggg, money-wise).  

HOWEVER, it's a 2dr and it's a Hudson.  Two great features.  But a high would be around 5K.  Depends on how much in love your friend falls . . .
  • Appreciate and respect your input gentlemen. 5k "was" going to be the offer price but I don't think I could fairly assess true value without flying a thousand miles and crawling under the darn thing myself.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor

This 2 dr Sedan looks like a rust belt bondo wagon.  I wouldnt give a $1000 for it as a parts car.

"Ric"

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The most valuable thing would be a good solid body.  Even if it doesn't even have a drive train.  Drive train parts, you can find.  So, if your friend is serious about this car, spend some time examining the body.  Use a magnet along the exterior panels, to determine where the plastic bondo is.  Eyeball straight down along the side of the car, to see wavy panels, indicating bad body work.  Most importantly get under the car and examine the perimeter frame, especially back around the rear wheel wells.  If you see more than surface rust, walk away, don't even make an offer.

Has your friend looked around at other Hudsons?  There are so many out there that are in way better basic condition, at a reasonable price.  For example, this '52 Wasp now advertised for $9400:

Yes, it's way more than $5,000 but the car is immaculate inside and out, and your friend would easily spend way more getting that '49 into comparable condition.  And yes, it's not a '49, but I'll bet you could find a much more solid '49 at a decent price. 

What you DON'T want is a rusty and dented car into which you'll pour $5 grand just to get the body ready for paint....before you touch the upholstery, drive train and chrome!  
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    A few years ago, I paid $1000 for a rolling (on wrong wheels) 49 Brougham. Just the body and suspension. No interior, trim glass, engine, bumpers, seats, title,  Nuthin!  Only rust was the usual front floor and front edge of the hood. Thought I got a good deal since it was only about 30 miles from home.  Then found that it had serious collision damage to the cowl that was poorly repaired. Actually just covered up. By the time it's done , I will probably have 8-10K in it. Doing everything myself. imageimage
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I started with a solid surface rust only 49 Commadore with everything there and 29K miles.  Took me about 3 years, and untold hours and about $9000 to restore it. (40% was chrome.)  I did everything myself including paint.
    BH.jpg 353.1K
This discussion has been closed.