Stainless Steel window shades

Are these things still made? I have a '49 fourdoor and I see everyone with these SS vent visors on their side windows, where can I find them? And for that matter, can those door handle protector plates still be gotten?
Thanks

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    And thank God we all like different kinds of women!

Paul Schuster had NOS door handle guards within the last 18 months.  
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser

I got a set from Dany Spring earlier this year

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The original dealer optional stainless vent shades with flat green paint on the underside were made for Hudson Motor Car Co. to sell by Auto Vent Shade Co. in Atlanta, Georgia.   When I walked into their offices during the Atlanta national meet (whatever year that was), they "greeted me with open arms" so to speak.  The Hudson parts were their biggest selling single offering in their early corporate years.   I asked if they had the dies still and they did with the exception of the 2-door brougham.  Would they make some more: certainly!.  And thus K-GAP offered coupe and sedan versions exactly like the original for a number of years.  AVS does mostly plastic today and I don't know whether successor K-GAP (to Press and I) or anyone else picked up doing business with this friendly company.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I bought a set for a four door stepdown from K-gap several years ago. The catalog said that the mounting holes did not match the originals, but otherwise a perfect replica.  I wouldn't mid having a  set for a brougham.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    What exactly do they do?
  • RL Chilton
    Keep fingernails from scratching the paint. 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    What exactly do they do?
    Vent shades?  Allows you to leave the side windows cracked open a bit and rain can't get in.
  • Dave, I've got brougham and sedan sets.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

I think the originals were chrome plated brass. The replacements from Kgap were thinner

stainless. Still very nice and fit properly

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    In the pre-stepdown era, Auto Vent Shade and other companies made them from brass and plated them.   By '48 or possibly immediately after the war, stainless steel was used.   All Hudson authorized stepdown accessory vent shades were stainless from AVS.   The K-GAP product was the original gauge.

What do they do?   They stop about 2" of sunlight from fading and rotting your interior through the side windows.  They give you the option of having the windows rolled down about one inch while parked on a hot or humid day without anyone even knowing your glass is down.  Even if it actually rains, water will not enter.  They block the low morning / late evening sunlight from coming through the driver's door window becoming a bother and distraction while driving.   I have had them on numerous cars and always happy with them.

• RL Chilton
    Yes, my answer was in reference to the door guards, of course (not the vent shades).  
  • I HAVE VENT SHADES FOR A 4 DR.STEPTDOWN. FOR SALE.
This discussion has been closed.