Stepdown eight with HydraMatic?

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor

A question was posed on the Club site that got me thinking. Two questions...

Did the eight cylinder engines in 51-52 have the counter bore in the end of the crank? I checked my 48-53 parts book and only one crank part number is listed for that engine through it's production.

Was the eight available with HydraMatic?

Comments

• I know of a 51 Commodore 8 sedan that has a hydramatic in it.  I also parted one out as well. There obviously were many more but you do raise a good question. Did the cranks all come with the correct bored hole for the hydramatic on all the 8 cyl models in 51 regardless if they had a hydramatic or not ? I would say they must have. I know that all cars after 50 had hydramatic tranny  floor pans whether they had hydramatics or not so it well may follow that all 8 cyl cranks had provision for hydramtic -needed or not.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    The parts book lists available parts that would work at the time of publication.  Beginning 1951, the 8 cyl cranks were bored for the Hydro pilot bearing.  As the bore made no difference in the standard transmission cars, they only sold it one way.  The 51-2 cranks are difficult to locate as they came on so few cars.  My 52 C-8 convertible  is Hydro and I worry about finding a new crank should I ever need one.
  • Lewis, Don't worry, I have one.   :)  Hey Ken that is too funny. We've  all been there. LOL.
  • SuperDave

If the parts book only shows one part number, then the replacement would have the counter bore.. I guess..

• SuperDave
    Any 48-50 8 Cyl crank can be machined by a competent automotive machine shop for the Hydramatic bushing counterbore. Just don't try to do it yourself in the car with tranny out, like one HET'er did some years back ( he was converting from std to Hydra) , by using a big ass hand drill and getting the bright idea that starting and running the motor would help the drill drill faster! The drill grabbed in the spinning crank and flung the guy out the open door. He lived to tell about it.....No names will be given to protect the guilty...
    Yep... I know the guy too.. LOL.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Rollin on the floor here Ken, Being an old toolmaker, I can just picture it.
This discussion has been closed.