Hopeful New Member

[Deleted User]
edited December 2014 in HUDSON

My wife & I have a passion for the Hudson's from Romney to the man who was our biggest inspiration - my late father-in-law. My wife was the only one of 4 siblings that remembered riding on the large rear armrest in the back seat of the 51 Hornet. Her Father being a diversified Utility Co. mechanic for 35+ years in Omaha, he taught all 4 of his kid the basics & me how to service our own vehicles and that means purchasing Service Manuals. While dating his oldest daughter I was intrigued by all of his Service Manuals going back to the 1940's, I learned his passion for the Hudson's from all the Manuals that have his hand writing on many of the pages from basic service to complete overhauls of many components.

When he passed in 2001 I had to do something special for the man who proudly spent his life with grease under his finger nails, I found the local HET chapter president, and in short notice 3 Wonderful Men drove there Hudson's to the Funeral in the rain to lead the hearse to the grave site.

On the worst day of my Mother-in-law's life - the warmth it gave her to see the cars and get a hug from men whom she never met before nor did they ever know her late husband or myself. ( She is 86 still in her home - My wife & I will own a Hudson to take her for rides while she is still with us.

That is why I want to be part of this forum so that I can learn all the I can from passionate Hudson enthusiasts.    

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Welcome aboard Dan! 

Quite a story & post.  Good to have you.  I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here.

You may also want to visit the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club website, and consider joining that Club - Members come for the cars, and stick around because of the great folks there!

We hope you enjoy your time here at the Hudson Essex Terraplane 'Open Forum' -

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Welcome to  the Hudson family - and family it is.  I've been knocking around for over 40 years so you got to know there is something special that holds one's attention.  As rick said there is a wealth of information here - not only from forum members, but there is an online library in addition to the virtual library (the URL for the online library is below my signature.  Most of the service manuals you mentioned are in both library's.
    We have people here on the forum that can answer just about any question you can come up with - and if they don't know the answer, they probably know someone who does.
    The unofficial motto of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club is "Come for the cars - Stay for the people."

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Forum, Dan!  There are plenty of nice Hudsons out there in good shape, that can probably be purchased most reasonably.  So with any luck, you can take your mother-in-law out for a Hudson spin this coming year! 
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Hi Dan!
    Heart warming story. Maybe you could submit it for publishing in the White Triangle? I think readers would very much enjoy it!
    Any pictures?
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Dan,

Great talking to you on the phone last night.  Feel free to share your car finds on this forum, it's possible that someone here may know the history of your find.  You should also join the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club forum at hetclub.org 

FYI  -  Dan and his wife are already members of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club.

John Forkner

John Forkner

This discussion has been closed.