clutch

After I replaced the clutch in the 35 Terraplane I can't seem to get it adjusted just righr. Seems the closet I come it is engageing when you start it up, any adjustment after that won't let me shift. I keep saying it can't be that hard. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     How much freeboard do you have?  
  • trying to get an inch and a half
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2014
    Two random thoughts come to mind (but keep in mind that I am a total amateur and have never replaced a clutch!):

1.  Isn't it necessary to make sure that the three "fingers" that engage the clutch, are all aligned (and this is a bit of a trick, I understand)?  Is it possible they're not aligned?

2.  Does your car have the shift lockout bars at both sides of the transmission, which physically prevent movement of the gearshift lever until the clutch is depressed?  If so, they may have gotten out of adjustment.  It's easy to adjust them.  This, of course, has nothing to do with the operation of the clutch but the effect is the same.: when they're mis-adjusted, pressing the clutch won't let you change gears.
  • going to put new springs on the lockout bars and make that adj. thanks
  • thank you for the springs hint, pushed the clutch to the floor 
    board and held it in place with a vise grip, and adjusted the lockout bars-you can see where the slots line up. adjusted the clutch after that. still think the clutch is riding the pressure plate a little bit but somehow in my mind i think its cause i pumped to much grease into the throwout bearing- we will see. taking her for a 20 mile ride tommorrow, ran around te neighborhood today and she never ran better- seems like i could go cross country with her. thanks again.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     If you are still having with the clutch not clearing, check  where the linkage is fitted to the lever -there are three holes, and the inner one gives much more throw.   Check the detent locks if you re-adjust.
    Geoff 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The adjustment of the lockout bars is best done (I think) with someone actually sitting in the front seat (while you're under the car).  That way they can depress the clutch (not necessarily all the way to the floor) and then as soon as you get the adjustment "right" they can let you know that the shift lever can move.  It's great you could do this by yourself but it's a lot easier process with two!
  • what a ride, to much fun, thanks for all your help and next time i will call you Jon to help me as it is getting harder to find good help
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You will always find good company and good help here at the Forum, and in the Club.  Plenty of advice....some of it even helpful!
This discussion has been closed.