1931 Hudson Great Eight - Very Rare restoration

This Hudson is just about all original with parts like spare tire brackets, tires/tubes, battery and windows being the items that were replaced. The interior is the original interior and looks and feels brand new. This car was broken down in the late 50's to its frame with all parts, screws and vinyl put into boxes and labelled. This car was put back to together within the last 10 years and looks like it was just drove out of the factory.  Due to the owner coming down with Leukemia, portions of the proceeds will be donated towards fighting Leukemia.

This Hudson was professionally appraised for 75K but the price is negotiable. 

To view more on this prized car, please read its website

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Could you post the appraisers name and web site?
  • Yes

R. Henderson but known as Jerry Henderson. Owner of Auto appraisal professionals at http://autoappraisalprofessionals.com/. Been in business since 1970. His contact is jerryrhenderson@entouch.net

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Looks like a very nice restoration.  Are you going to list this in the WTN?  If you're not in the Club, a current member could arrange to have it listed in the classifieds at no charge, but the deadline may have just passed, for the next issue.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I have been doing appraisals for the past thirty years and guess what.  Seldom does an appraisal set a value or selling price on a car.  And, I have seen several nice Hudson's come out of restoration shops where the shop sets a price on the car and often it is based on the cost of the restoration.  I just took a quick look at the Old Cars Price guide and it places the value on the car at about a third of the appraisal price.  As my wife often tells me"  A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. 

With that said, and with the current movement in our car groups to donate to various charities--I would hope that any amount above the true value be what is donated--it is not mentioned what is to be donated above....  Do not see either result (car selling or a high amount donated) happening on this one.  Sad because it is a very nice car., 

• I was told his appraisals sell for about 10-15k less than his #'s. I surely hope you aren't correct on it selling. I didn't give an estimate on donations due to it all depends on the sale price. We have 35k + invested so that's the benchmark currently.

I would love to put it in the wtn but it's hard to find out how to do that. Doesn't seem to be a website for that publication.
  • I am no expert in this field, so please don't take any of my questions the wrong way. It's obviously a beautiful car, with a cool story and I hope it sells for every penny of what you hope to get. My question surrounding the appraisal is "Appraised value" versus, "Replacement Cost Value". Is a car appraisal similar to a home appraisal or other appraisal like jewelry? If so, then isn't the replacement cost based on what it would cost to replace with original parts and in the same manner as the original car? Again, not to take away from a sweet Hudson, but replacement value would be considerably higher than actual appraised value typically by 25%. I guess good ol supply and demand will dictate the true value. I wish you the best either way!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    DDucky there is no website for the White Triangle News.  It's the magazine of the Hudson club.  If you wish to place your ad there, you can contact me (I'm a member of the H-E-T) and I can give you the information on how to do it.  No charge, of course.  My e-mail address is XXXdetailed@verizon.net (remove the XXX before sending).

• SkyDad,
    Jerry the appraisal guy said he does his appraisals based on replacement value so what you are saying makes a lot of sense. He doesn't think you'll be able to find portions of this car in that condition ever again which is why he gave it a high appraisal . I don't expect to get near the # he gave but we would love to at least break even or a tad higher.  I'm hoping mass marketing this car and using the back story will help drive interest for it. I currently have it listed on Classicars.com, Hemmings, Ebay and I'm in the process of possibly listing it in Barrett Jackson's next auction. 
  • I'd say the "expert" appraiser is only about $55 thousand too high
  • So you think this car is worth 20K in it's best condition? Is that because there are too many of these cars because I can't seem to find many sold and none look this good imo. The only 1931's that I have found are generally the boat tail (100K) version of this car. I've found maybe 3 of this type and one is going for 35K but isn't as original as mine and the other was around the same price as well with the same comparison.  
  • For example, these 1929 Hudson's which has the same price tag per old car guides went for 77K+ in an auction a couple years ago. Surely my car would be comparable to these, right? 

• I personally think the car is worth well over $20K but it's really just a matter of one or two people with deeper pockets who just have to have this car. Just based on my knowledge from watching hundreds of auctions, I would ballpark on the high end $35-$45K (remember...many of the gentleman providing feedback on here own these same cars, and many have them in show condition as well) but again, marketing it and pounding the pavement just adds more hope to finding the right buyer. I'd love to see you get $50+K and it's not out of the realm of possibility. I hope it's a win-win for the fight against Leukemia as well. All the best! Hudsonly - Mike
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited December 2014

My opinion is there are three things that will keep you from getting $25K .

It's a sedan , the interior and the wheel color.

You can not compare this to a 29 Hudson. 1929 was  considered one of the best models made.

Compare the sales numbers , there is a reason the 29 out sold the 31 .

• Ok, I guess my reasoning isn't matching reality here. I would have thought the fact that my interior was in excellent condition and is original would increase the value. You're saying that isn't the case? 

From what I read the 1931 model had less cars built thus making them more rare, correct? What is the difference between the 1929 and 1931 other than the engine size? Wouldn't the 8 cylinder have more value than the 6? I haven't read any bad reports on the 1931 to make me think these cars had less quality than the 1929, in fact it seems Hudson was always known to be built with very high quality across the board. 

Very strange how these cars get their value specially considering both the 1929 and 1931 are estimated to be worth the same according to nadaguides.com 

So you don't like the yellow wheels huh, it's actually John Deer yellow. I thought it worked very well with the rest of the color theme. What color would you think would look better with the current color palet? 
  • As most of you fellows know I have my 1933 Terraplane Eight coupe for sale at a asking price of $45,000. and it is one of the most uncommon Hudson products out there, very few still around, I priced it high, but after 60 plus years of fooling with these things I know I will not get that, just a asking price, its easier to come down than go up when selling. As far as rarity, There are a lot of 29,s around and over the 50 plus years I have been around the HET  I have seen about a dozen or more 31 Great Eights for sale. as far as value, BROWNIEPETERSEN  said it right,!! only what someone is willing  pay.!! I recently saw a 50 Pacemaker sedan go thru a around $50.000.00 restoration, it was beautiful

• G'Gay dducky007,

Nice car. The wheel colour is a personal thing. John Deer is tractor farm equipment? so the yellow should stay on the farm not on the car. But what ever 'float's your boat" is OK with me as repainting the wheels is a personal thing :-)

There is only 2 types of cars 1.Orginal and 2 Restored. You keep stating its original when its not. Rebuilding the wood frame, re-chroming the bumpers, and rebuilding it from boxes  puts the car firmly into the "restored' bracket - hence the price drop from your expectations. "Original" in the car game is "VIRGIN" ie  everything should be as from the factory, excluding wear and tear - but if the car came with original 1931 tyres including 1931 air then more the better. Collectors demanding "original" demand this and more for the price range you think the car will go for.

Yours is Restored and although nice isn't  "Concours d'Elegance"  - cars in this class would be in the 75k range. Like the 1929 Hudson you used as a comparison. You should remarket your car as having "original features"  Cars shown in Concours events are a completely original down to the scuff marks and age wear or completely blemish free like Jay Leno's Duisenbergs

Also remember the great depression occurred at the end of 1929, all car manufactures sold less after 1930 and many went belly up and closed

best of luck getting rid of the car cheers Ken

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited December 2014
    007-

That old adage (mentioned above), "It's only worth what you can sell it for.", was never more true than with a car like this.  It's not a Ford, so there isn't a whole lot of them running around, and not really much to compare it to.  ANY Hudson is a rarity, if truth be told, as the survival rate is just not high for the entire marque.  It's just that some are either slightly more rare, or more desirable (i.e., boat-tails, dual cowls, etc.).  Sedans have gotten to be "higher-valued" just recently, as we continue to run out of available tin, BUT, it's still a sedan.  The high is probably around the 30 area if it is truly exceptional, low mileage, has provenance, that kind of thing.  That's if you are patient and the right buyer comes along.  If you are not patient, 25-ish is probably more realistic, IMO.  Fortunately, the demand is higher than the supply . . . it's just finding the right demand for your product.  

Nice car, by the way!
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Very cool car.  One of these days I want something from that era.  

I have no idea of what it might be worth or what it may sell for but one thing I do know is that rarity and value do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Think of Hudson vs. Chevrolet in 1957.  Chevrolet probably made hundreds of cars for every Hudson that rolled of the line.  I'd guess that over the years, that ratio has only gotten larger, so which one is rarer?  Now, for better or worse, which car is likely to bring a higher selling price?

• Did someone say 1957?! :D
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited December 2014
    Did someone say 1957?! :D

Beautiful!

Unfortunately I'm still guessing a '57 Chevy, in similar condition anyway, would probably bring more money.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2014
    Dducky, as you can see there's one opinion for everyone who posts a message!  In the end it's a matter of what appeals to the eventual buyer, not what we argue here.  The highest offer gets the '31, regardless of the appraiser or an old car value book, or whether the wheels are John Deere yellow, or how many cars sold in 1931 versus 1929. 

There is no logic to this old car disease.

So, keep advertising it everywhere you can, be patient, try to get a "feel" for what you can reasonably expect as an offer, and then take that offer when it comes along.

• To Chris's point, my 57 is worth about 20 grand less than your average 57 Chevy but I wouldn't trade her for any Chevy. True value is what a car means to each individual and the memories that become part of that experience. (...and for the record, I kinda like the John Deere yellow rims)
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser

Our car Hudson Super 8 Brougham 61,000 miles [only had 11,000 when my Dad bought it in 1974] only had paint, chrome & upholstery done in 1971 so I see it as restored / original.

What is it worth? don't know or care, our son wants it so that is what matters to us.

Having looked through the roster I think there are around 6 listed and ours is the only one in Australia.

The colour on ours I don't believe to be correct and the top, of any pics I have seen is a light colour not black as ours is.

We love the Hudson and use it at least 2 or 3 times a month.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The  true answer can only be found in the market. If someone wants it bad enough they  will pay the asking price.  Otherwise it will sell for whatever anyone  will pay for it.   Most cars like this cost far more to restore than they are ever going to sell for.  If you want  to make money, invest in the sharemarket. 
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    No no Geoff. If you want to make a small fortune, then start with a large one!! 
  • Beautiful car Spencer!!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I know that some of our comments seem harsh.  We do not mean to be that way.  What you are seeing is preference (color of wheel) and honesty.  Somewhat frank but honest based on our experience.  Please do not take this as negative.  Anyone of us would love to have your car and park it along side the others that we have in our shops.  From the number of posts here you can see that we all have an interest.  And it goes without saying that we hope the car finds a good home and both byer and seller are happy.  Please keep us informed on how the process goes.  Most of us will have a car to sell one day.
  • One final comment. You simply can NOT compare the 31 G8 to the 29 S6....  The 31 G8 was nothing more than a giant Essex and the '29's were genuinely fine cars.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    We all have deeply held opinions about Hudsons,  which we're more than happy to share. 

However, this discussion was started by someone who is trying to advertise a restored automobile on behalf of its owner, who now needs to sell it in order to finance his battle against leukemia. 

We ought to keep that in mind.
This discussion has been closed.