brass stepdown hubcaps

hoggyrubber
hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
i had a curious find the other day. it may be very common, but i didn'tknow about it. i had got 2 older hudson hubcaps larger diameter with just the triangle in the center off some fence posts at my uncles place a while back. i noticed even though they were outside there was no rust on the outside at all. the had nail holes in them so i cut 4 1/2" out of the center to use as a cap for the air filters i am using on my twin h. i noticed they have a chromed brass layer and a pressed steel layer beneth. all the other stepdown hubcaps i have got small or large diameter have rust spots on the outside so they are oviously steel. anyone know what car or year had these brass covered hubcaps??  

Comments

• Good chrome plating processes, "Triple Chrome Plating", is a Copper/Nickel/Chromium plating with the Copper as the first, bonding layer. Is is possible that what you are seeing is that layer? Why they don't have the usual rust spots/pitting is a mystery unless they were hung out in the weather when fairly new and un-"dinged" so water never reached the base steel. Just a guess.

Frank
  • hoggyrubber
    these are different than all the others i have got. a totally seperate brass chromed layer came off as i was cutting the hole. it was not a part of the steel layer underneath. i actually scrapped the metal layer and just used the brass layer for my air cleaner. i just have never seen this before and wondered if it was specific to a model or year? i can take a picture if anyone wants to see.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

I've seen 46-47 hubcaps like that , never saw a step down made that way.

Seems like they figured out a less costly way to make them.

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    The small caps  through 1954 were made with chrome plated brass "skins"

"Ric"
  • hoggyrubber
    insteresting. these are def the larger ones and have brass skins. they look like the other larger stepdown hubcaps i have seen with just plain red triancle in the center and the 3 or 4 rings toward the outer edge. they might be 46 or 47 i just found them on the fence posts!
  • I stand corrected.
    F
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    If they have the red triangle in the center, they are definitely for the years 1950 thru 1953 and 1954 Super Wasp.  The Hornets and Hornet Specials had the new style centers with the same design as the full wheel disc cover.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

It's been my experience, that the 50-53's (red triangle) had two different constructions. The early ones through 1951 were the two piece..IE: a shell with a chrome plated skin. Same method as the pre stepdowns. Sometime during the Korean war.. chrome and copper became scarce and they switched to a one piece stainless steel construction. I think they cut some corners on the later two piece ones and the chrome did not hold up very well. Personally I love the stainless ones.. They can be "fixed' and polished reasonably. The last pair of full discs I had rechromed for a 49 were $100.00 EACH!

• hoggyrubber
    thank you all for the info.
  • joe53HH
    joe53HH Expert Adviser
    My '53 has the full size stainless wheel covers with a carbon steel inner ring that attaches it to the wheel. I had to replace the inner ring on one of the covers because it rusted. I got the replacement inner ring from an older (previously) chrome plated cover.
  • SuperDave
    My '53 has the full size stainless wheel covers with a carbon steel inner ring that attaches it to the wheel. I had to replace the inner ring on one of the covers because it rusted. I got the replacement inner ring from an older (previously) chrome plated cover.
    I have one stainless cap that the inner mounting rim is missing. I had given some thought to trying to replace the inner ring. I have several really bad caps to use for the part.... Since you did it, maybe I can do it ? 
  • joe53HH
    joe53HH Expert Adviser
    I cut a thick board to cover the inner ring and used that to press it into the stainless cover. I used a styrofoam slab under the stainless to give it some support when putting in the inner ring. Before pounding I placed the cover in the oven to warm it up a bit and put the inner ring in the freezer. A liberal dose of WD40 and  two whacks with a rubber mallet and the ring went in. Make sure you support the cover good to avoid dents. Good luck!
  • SuperDave
    I cut a thick board to cover the inner ring and used that to press it into the stainless cover. I used a styrofoam slab under the stainless to give it some support when putting in the inner ring. Before pounding I placed the cover in the oven to warm it up a bit and put the inner ring in the freezer. A liberal dose of WD40 and  two whacks with a rubber mallet and the ring went in. Make sure you support the cover good to avoid dents. Good luck!

Thank You.. I'll try it this week end.
This discussion has been closed.