1949 Rear fold-down area

Just bought a '49 Super Fourdoor. My fondest memories of my father's '48 Commodore was playing with lead soldiers and checker games on that giant "armrest", and this car doesn't have it!
Was it an option or did someone "steal" it from my car?
Thanks

Comments

• The Super series of Hudsons didn't come with armrests. Those were intended for the Commodore series. That being said, if you really wanted one upon first purchasing your new Hudson, the dealer likely would have sold you one and installed it at an optional cost. 
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Congratulation on the purchase of you Hudson and sharing some fond memories from your youth in a Hudson. You may find someone parting out a stepdown to get a rear seat with arm rest for you car. Then your grandkids can experience some of your experiences.

I was eight when Dad bought a new 51 Hornet 4 door. Mom didn't like the color so with-in a couple weeks Dad had it repainted two tone. I do not remember what the original color was or if the dealer repainted it but the dealer did exchange interior from another car on the lot to match the new paint.

I remember that arm rest well. It was often used to separate my brother and I on long trips. Some times I would set on it going down the road and sometimes sleep under back window. I loved that car except for the new car smell.

Enjoy your new Hudson and returning to youthful memories. Hope you will share some pictures.

Lee O'Dell
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    edited November 2014
    Congrats on the 49 purchase, I love my 49.
    Here's your armrest/battlefield/checkers table.

• TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    So your childhood looked something like this?

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    TwinH ; great picture. Very evocative!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    It's an easy swap. I put a 51  Hornet rear seat in my 49 Super 6 two door sedan. Just bolts in. Upholstery won't match though LOL 
  • Airbrush,

I have a back seat setup if you need one.

Let me know.
    Thanks!
    Scott
  • Can't imagine what shipping would be to NJ.
    Early stage of ownership, budget below low.
    Anyone have one in NJ area?
    Thanks
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    It's an easy swap. I put a 51  Hornet rear seat in my 49 Super 6 two door sedan. Just bolts in. Upholstery won't match though LOL 

You know, you can recover the seats...
  • You know, you can recover the seats...
    Oh I would, but I would need a seatback with the armrest in it to recover.
    Still looking.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.