Now You See Him, Now You Don't

cpr3333
cpr3333 Expert Adviser

Does anyone remember the Disney movie Now You See Him, Now You Don't from 1972?

It turned up on TV tonight and I remembered that they used a Hudson as the getaway car so I watched it.  Looks like a 1951 Hornet from the front and a 1952 from the rear. 

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited November 2014
    Movie equipment managers rent primary and back up vehicles when preparing for filming.  I know the movie 2 Jakes used two different convertibles in the movie.  One a senior car and the other a junior variant.  They bet most of the audience will not have the experience to notice.  Bill Albright furnished the 2 Jake's cars.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    That was a pretty neat movie - an invisible Hudson.  I noted in one scene, when I saw the movie, where a fellow rear ended the Hudson that wasn't there.  Did a heck of a lot of damage to the rear car - as I recall.  Also, if I remember right the Hudson drove off into the sunset.

Hudsonly,
    Alex B
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     From what I remember ti was a red Hornet, and ended up in a swimming pool!
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited November 2014

Oldfarmer: I've seen plenty of movies where a car switches from scene to scene as you said but this seemed to be all the same car - you'd see it coming at you and going away in the same scene.  I was guessing they just grafted two cars together to make something they could use.  It looked like it was painted with red primer so they didn't spend a whole lot of time making it look good.

Alex:  That was always one of my favorite scenes as well.  The police car that rear ended the Hudson was pretty much destroyed.  Before it became invisible, they did all kinds of damage with it as well, drivng through fences, sheds, etc.  Unfortunately, it did not drive off into the sunset, as Geoff mentioned.

Geoff:  Your memory is good on both counts.  It was red (red primer) and it ended up in a swimming pool.  The invisibility potion washed off in water so after making a big splash invisibly, it slowly became visible under the water.  Pretty cool special effect for 1972.

This discussion has been closed.