1950 Commodore eight oil pressure sending unit

keithfullmeryahoocom
keithfullmeryahoocom Expert Adviser
edited November 2014 in Parts & Pieces
Somehow, between me pulling the engine, and taking it to the rebuilder and him tearing down the engine, we have lost the oil pressure sending unit to the car. ( Actually, if this is all we lost it will be an absolute miracle!)  Does anyone have a picture of one they could post so I know what I'm looking for?   Are they available?   Thanks fellows, keith

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    They used the same unit from 1934 to 1947 on the 6's and to '52 on the 8's, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Keith,

I would check with NAPA.  I needed one for my 308 and they had them available with either a blade or nut/screw terminal.

John Forkner

• The pressure switch for the eights is nothing like the one for the pressure lubricated engines. NAPA will not know what you are talking about.
    The splash lube engines have no oil pressure sending unit, in the usual sense, as they have no oil pressure, per se. They do have a special switch to extinguish the "idiot light" and is an integral part of the device known as the check valve located at the rear oil discharge line just as it enters the block. The sole purpose of that device is to generate a slight pressure (the book says 4-12 psi but it doesn't much matter what it is) in the rear line to make the light go out. An ordinary pressure switch plumbed into that line would result in a flashing light. The plunger in the Hudson unit is dampened to eliminate that issue although they still may flash about 50-60 times per min. at hot idle.
    The unit on the left is the standard Hudson "check valve" assembly, with switch. The RH example is one with the optional bypass oil filter attachment fittings which you may or may not have had. Obviously, the nut/stud to the left is for the wire to the light.
    These aren't available from anyone except one of our Hudson friends that has one lying around.
    Frank
  • onerare39
    I been schooled by Professor Frank.  I think I got an F on the test.

• Class dismissed......except for you, young man. You'll be staying after class and writing on the chalkboard, "I will not confuse a Splasher with a full pressure lubricated Hudson engine", 562 times. (308 + 254)
    PF
  • Thanks for all the help, guys.  I'm still looking.  Keith
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor

Keith,   I have some,used but usable.   $30.00 includes shipping

I;m in the Roster.

Fred "Ric" Pinder

• I'm not giving up yet!  Lol!  
    My engine still has the thingie attached that is in Professor Franks picture.   No wire tho.
    Then, I find this mysterious duley-bob on the garage floor near where the engine removal crime took place.   Are they related?   Am I on to something here?  Do I need to still keep looking or maybe send Ric some $$?Please advise...k
  • Aha! You are onto something.That's the guts of the idiot light switch that came out of the device I showed you. There's a nut (look who's talking) much like a compression nut that holds that duley-bob into the body of the thingy that is still on the engine. It must be sealed in with something or it will leak oil.
    Look in your can of left-over parts (there's always one of those around). it should be in there somewhere.
    The little brass pin is the contact for grounding of the light.
    F
  • onerare39
    Frank,  Are you sure that's not the Cam Follower Rheostat ?

• Yes.....the wire is too short to reach the coolant capacitor.

A few things I failed to mention...You may need to remove the Valve body plug (two dots in the photo, Item 2 in the sketch) in order for the plunger (5) to move upward so the tip of the brass pin will go in all the way. The nut in question is item #12 (one dot in photo) and the two seals are #10, one on each side of the insulator flange. The insulator is Bakelite so the nut probably shouldn't be tightened very tightly for fear of breaking that flange....that is, if you find the nut.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I think he's already found several !!
  • Hmmmmmm. I wonder what he meant by that.........
  • Thanks for the helpful discussion!..k
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Maybe that's why Hudson liked the idiot lights on the splasher instead of a gauge.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The splashers have only a few pounds of pressure.  Not a good idea to show that when everything else had pressures in the 30s and more!  Therefore, the idiot light.
This discussion has been closed.