New Member Greeting

[Deleted User]
edited November 2014 in HUDSON

Hello All,

I have been an automotive enthusiast for as long as I can remember and an amateur racer for the past few years. I have always adored the lines of classic American vehicles and have decided to own one since before I could drive. I am about to have that opportunity and couldn't be more thrilled.

While in my fabricators shop, which he shares with his fathers classic car collection, I happened upon a beautiful and rough around the edges 1952 Hudson Hornet. I commented on how much I liked it and he said his father was willing to part with it and I should ask him about it. I had the opportunity to speak with him that evening and he seemed pleased that I was interested in it. I received a text from my friend today and he let me know how much his dad wanted me to have it and we started to work on the details.

I am more than excited at the prospect of owning this fine vehicle and wanted to learn as much as I can about it. I wanted to connect to the community that surrounds these cars and establish contacts within it. I was thrilled to have found this forum and hope to become a contributing member in good standing. I hope to have your approval.

Regards,

Joshua Mauldin

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome on board, Joshua!  You've been made a full member of this forum, so fee free to post future discussions in whichever category you wish.

If you are a hard-bitten Hudson enthusiast you may wish to consider joining the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club (the webpage is at http://www.hetclub.org/ )

Let us know where you are -- possibly a member of this forum or of the Club lives not far from you and could help you with any technical questions, in person.

• Welcome aboard, Joshua! Pics!! We love pics!
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Welcome Joshua. You will find a lot of willing people on this forum that are happy to answer question and share a lot of information. A few years ago I started with the first post and started copying all the useful information I wanted and now have a large folder full of helpful information I can go back too.

You might try it some time when your not working on a Hudson. lol. No kidding there is a ton of information and teck tips not found in a service manual.

Hope you get the Hudson. Please post some pictures when it arrives.
    Lee O'Dell
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Welcome aboard and post some pics when you get a chance.  I'm sure you will find a wealth of information here on the Open Forum.  
  • Thank you all for the welcomes and willingness to help!

Going to look at it and negotiate this weekend so we will see how it goes!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited November 2014
    Don't hesitate to bring back the results of your inspection to the Forum.  We may be able to offer you advice on what to look for / avoid, so you don't get stuck with a clunker!  There are strong points and weak points to look out for, when examining a potential Hudson purchase.  For example, the "StepDown" models (1948-54) have a perimeter frame which can rust, if the car is improperly stored or has led a "hard life".  This can costs thousands of dollars to repair correctly (if you don't do the welding yourself).  So, a very careful inspection of the perimeter frame from the rear wheel wells to the back of the car, is a good idea.
  • Thanks Jon B. Are there any things that I need to look out for besides the usual mechanical and appearance issues? Anything that is Hudson specific or problematic?

I will take a lot of pictures and post them to get your input on the quality of what I'm looking to purchase.

I know all the mechanicals have been gone through so it runs and stops and handles as it is supposed too. My buddies dad usually makes all his cars into good runners than leaves it to the next owners to decide how to finish the appearance themselves.

It will be easier to post pics than explain the entire car but it appears to be all original and shows its age. The roof has been flaked and candied sometime in the 60's and the hood has been louvered and is in recent primer. The trunk is in primer too. There is little to no visible rust and all the bright work appears there just tarnished.

My intention is too get a car that looks original but runs well. Not looking to restore or modify at the moment. I just want it to have all its pieces and be mechanically sound that I can cruise nice and slow to meets or cruise ins during the summer. I will get the hood and trunk painted and patina'd to match the rest of the body and drive it!  For now...

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's a good idea to buy something "running and presentable" (as you appear to be doing).  As opposed to guys who buy a really cheap hulk, then immediately tear into a full scale restoration (with stars in their eyes) -- only to have the disassembled hulk still clogging their garage ten years (and one divorce) later. 

You can drive and enjoy your car as you improve it bit by bit -- as you have the time and money.  Dented trim can be repaired or upgraded, flakey chrome can be re-plated, worn rubber seals can be replaced, primered panels can be repainted, upholstery can be redone.

As to what to watch out for, I'd say the perimeter frame is the most important.  A few minor holes in the floor can be repaired, and there are floor patch panels out there too (of varying quality and fit).  The engines and transmissions are sturdy and parts are available.  The clutch (if this is a "stick") is the oil bath type, and parts and rebuilding are available.  So, I guess the condition of the body is always a paramount consideration when considering the purchase of a Hudson.  The "mechanicals" are secondary.
  • Ok great. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely focus on the frame and body. From the few times I've looked at it the body seems solid. I will give it a little more attention this trip out.

More details to follow. Oh yeah, and pics!

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

I just sold my 52 Hornet last fall. (Am currently at 8 Hudsons.)   Had it 11 yrs and had a lot of fun with it.  They suck all the attention up from nearby cars at a show.  If we know where you live, we can usually hook you up with an owner not too far away.  Most of us have a good base of experience with these things.  Mine goes back to 1955, so feel free to ask.

Larry, aka Uncle Josh

• J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    Welcome to the forum Joshua. I agree with all that has been posted especially getting under and inspecting the perimeter  frame as stated floor boards can be repaired. Most all 50's cars have  floor board issues. Hudson folkss are always willing to provide advise, tell you may have needed parts etc

We are a family oriented club and we do not have any judging of our cars at our meets, everyone is welcome and not judged by the car they have.  As we say Come for the cars, stay for the people. I have been a member for 30 years and this is my second family.
  • WOW! Thanks for all the warm invitations. I may have to get it now just to stay as part of this group!:) I will definitely be taking advantage of all the knowledge and experience that has been offered to me here already.
This discussion has been closed.