35 Terraplane flooring

farmermike
farmermike Member
edited November 2014 in HUDSON

My 35T has some old ratty shag carpet for flooring. I would like to get something better looking and period correct for the floor. Did it originally come with a rubber floor with some sort of jute backing material? Was the flooring the same throughout or was it something else for the back seat area?

I have a two door coach.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Cataldo, Idaho

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I hope someone with a bit more knowledge comes in, but I think the front floor was covered with a rubber mat (possibly with the "Hudson Built Steel Body" logo on it) and the rear was covered in a very low pile carpet.  Many of the better antique car upholstery supply companies will offer similar carpet material.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Starting in '34, Terraplanes had a molded rubber mat.   Press Kale /KGAP used to make a nice replacement in Del-Rin rubber that was the superseded type with the "Steel Body" logo.   Hudson approved that back through '34.   In '32 and '33 Essex Terraplanes, there was a pyramid grained flooring with no other pattern.  Looked like it had been heat pressed to fit the floor.  '32-33 was similar to the reproduction material used in '32 Fords.  
    The rear compartments of '34 up Terraplane closed cars had a hogshair carpet.

Wildrick Rubber today offers a fabulous replacement mat.   Knowing their quality of parts, I'm sure it is worth the price when restoring.   On this page:  http://www.wildrickrestorations.com/wildrickrubberparts/newitems.xhtml 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just noticed that this discussion was posted in the wrong area (Forum Instructions & Tips) several days ago.  I'm re-posting it under "Hudson" and hope it gets some responses.
This discussion has been closed.