1936 Terraplane convertible for sale in the UK

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    appears to be a custom body. Not a fan of the colors , but an interesting car.
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    In my opinion this car does not have the fine lines or exhibit the good taste of any coach builder.   Additionally the windshield height appears to be that of a standard closed body.   I'd expect it was built by a no-name body shop or a home builder..
  • Looks like something the Shriners would reject.....
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited November 2014
    It is an interesting looking car indeed. I do like the look of it :) 

I'm trying to see if I can find some history behind it ; I know it was owned by someone in The Railton Owners Club recently but other than that not much more
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I saw this car in person just this past September.  Friend of our friends on the Isle of Wight owned it, and he sold it soon after I was there.  Sounds like the buyer just planned to flip it.  I agree the contour of the rear part of the body isn't very attractive.  Car seemed to run nicely. though.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I agree, the greenhouse is too tall.  One of the most attractive features of pre-Stepdown convertibles is how short the windshield is.  Looks chopped from the factory.  Cool factor is through the roof and way cooler than closed cars.  But, then again, I AM a ragtop man.  
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I like it, kinda looks like a Bantam on steroids.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Bill Albright "rescued" many Hudsons that well meaning owners made topless. Top of the doors coupled with the top of the windscreen treatments "scream" home grown.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Bill Albright "rescued" many Hudsons that well meaning owners made topless. Top of the doors coupled with the top of the windscreen treatments "scream" home grown.
    You're probably right.  
  • Park_W

I should have some photos of this critter in another couple of days.  Brit friend who took me to see the car (and others) is having trouble getting the pic's to me.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Be interesting to see what you have Park
  • Park_W
    Though I was curious about the Terraplane, I was blown away by the fellow's other cars, among them a '30 Rolls Town Car and a magnificent red Bentley Sports Tourer.  Wheelbase must have been 130".
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
  • Park_W
    Some pic's of Alan's Terraplane and a couple of others (now all sold).
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I'm guessing those wire wheels (assuming they are originals) would be extremely rare? They would have to suit the 10" drums on the 36, 34/35 wires (9"drums) wouldn't fit.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I'm guessing it was made from a sedan? the doors seem short for a two door.
  • Park_W
    edited November 2014

I believe he said it was made from a 2-door.  Door length looks about right to me.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The wheels are  optional '36 versions.  Interestingly, 1935 models do not have  a listing for wire wheels, yet most '35's here had them.  Probably used up the old stock on the export  models.  I'm not sure about Oz, I've only seen the steel wheels there.
This discussion has been closed.