October 29 1954 the last day Hudson Hornet was made

Lee ODell
Lee ODell Senior Contributor
Saw this article on the internet. Also, has 5:10 minutes of Marshal Teague racing on Daytona Beach. I though some of you might enjoy seeing this.
Lee O'Dell

autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/oct-29-last...

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    The link didn't print out as a link . . .   some of it is missing?
  • Lee ODell
    Try typing this on Yahoo Search Webb.

October 29: The last Hudson Hornet was built on this date in 1954.
    When I typed this the article comes up.

Sorry I'm not computer savy to get the correct link. Perhaps someone can post the link.

Lee O'Dell
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Car flips over on the track.  
    Put out the yellow flag and the pace car comes out on the track?
    HELL NO!! Just keep on racing around the wreck! 
    Last one in's a rotten egg!

Thanks for posting the link, Lee.
  • Lee ODell
    Russell
    Thanks for correcting the link.
    Can you imagine a 43 car pileup in turn one with the road grader nose race cars of today coming to a dead stop when the nose dips into sand ruts.
    Stock car races of the past were/are exciting to watch.
    Lee O'Dell
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I've always thought the last 54 was produced some time in May 54?
  • Bob, Actually 1954 was a strange year for the AMC corporation. It was the longest production year for the stepdown due to the clearing of the shelves of all the 1954 parts . It was also the first year of production of the 1955 post merger Hornets. Hudsons for a very short time were being produced in Detroit as the last of the 54's and at the same time 1955 Hudsons were being made in Kenosha, Wisconsin at the Nash factory.Yet at the end of that year's Detroit production only about 34,000  1954  Hudsons had been produced in spite of the fact they had been making them since late 1953!
  • You gotta love it!   I also like the phony sound of the tire squeechs on asphalt sound in the sand.   Man, this was racing!
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    So when was the last Jet built?
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

Thanks RL and Lee for the link of Tim Flock and Marshall Teague racing at Daytona complete with, as Keith points out, rubber tires that squeech in the sand.   

Hey that's a good question, just when was the last Jet built?  Nobody seems to know.  And also, was the Jefferson Ave. plant used for any other automotive manufacturing before being torn down, I believe, in 1960?

Dan

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    According to Jack Miller, the Jefferson AV plant was used to store left-over 1956 & 1957 Hudsons & Ramblers  -  He made several trips there to retrieve cars for stock at "Hudson Sales & Service".  After that it was used for a short while to build the US Army "Mighty Mite" compact Jeep like vehicle.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    edited November 2014

Thanks RL and Lee for the link of Tim Flock and Marshall Teague racing at Daytona complete with, as Keith points out, rubber tires that squeech in the sand.   

Hey that's a good question, just when was the last Jet built?  Nobody seems to know.  And also, was the Jefferson Ave. plant used for any other automotive manufacturing before being torn down, I believe, in 1960?

Dan

Hopefully, someone here would know. They had a lot of 202 engines left that were installed in the '55-'56 Wasps, which were heavier than the Jet.  JC Whitney also sold them. They should have installed them in the light Rambler as an option, but it would have been difficult to service the valves and fuel pump, like the Wasp. They also list the horsepower in '55-'56 as 120,  up from 114 in '54,.which is a little less than the '48-'50 narrow block 262 at 124.  Heck, the 8 had 128! Putting back together my '54 Jetliner, so will be asking a lot of questions on it. Have the mechanical procedure manual, but no body manual. Don't know if any were printed.

This discussion has been closed.