Engine color

I have a '54 Wasp that I would like to repaint the 262 motor.  I know some of the stepdowns came with gold engines, mine is a reddish color that appears to have been resprayed at some point (see attached pic).  What is the correct paint color?  I have heard "Ford Red" engine paint is pretty close?

Suggestions?

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    In case you are not a member of the HET club:

48-50 were painted silver or aluminum
    51-53 Hornet and 53 Jet were Gold
    Duplicolor 500 degree engine paint, is close match. DE 1604 Universal Gold
    Intakes were painted gold as well
    51-53 non Hornet 232-262- 254 eight --- Silver
    54 all were Red
    '55-6 engines were Grey
    Replacement engine blocks were not painted on the outside, and the 7X blocks also came thru in natural Chrome-Alloy
    JC Whitney took all of the surplus factory engines and sold them through their catalog. These engines often shipped painted blue
    The "brick red" inside most engine blocks is "glyptal"

308's Filler tubes were engine color
    Twin H linkage and single carb linkage were engine color
    Twin H air cleaners-
    Dupli-Color Ford #1605
    Hudson Twin H air cleaners were manufactured by FRAM. The color of these items is a red that is generally not found today. The color is Colonial Red provided by Rustoleum in their new spray can paint line.

(taken from Kdancy's post)
  • Great responses, thank you.  I will track down some Dupli-Color Ford #1605.

Man, JC Whitney was awesome back then. 

• Anyone know of a spray can for FRAM orange for the filter housing?  

Thanks!
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I found that Kubota Tractor Orange is almost identical.  Look for it at Tractor Supply or wherever they sell Kubota Tractors.

John Forkner

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure Hudson six cylinder engines from '54 thru '56 were all red color.  The V-8's would have been some other color, I'm not sure what color (didn't like the fact they were from Packard!)
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I'm pretty sure Hudson six cylinder engines from '54 thru '56 were all red color.  The V-8's would have been some other color, I'm not sure what color (didn't like the fact they were from Packard!)
    That's what I thought, too.  I have heard that before, more than once.  
    Regardless, if I only learned one thing about Hudson, it's that "standard" is a very generalized term.  
This discussion has been closed.