Stop light switch

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser

Found out recently I don't have any brake lights (tail lights and turn signals work).  One of the things I'll be checking is the stop light switch on the master cylinder.  I purchased a spare switch from NAPA in case the old one turns out to be defective.  If I replace it, will I need to bleed the brake system (doesn't seem like it, but just want to be sure) and should you use something like teflon tape on the treads of the new stop light switch to make a better seal?

Dan

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited October 2014
      A better alternative these days is to use the Harley Davidson brake light switch, which is immune to the silicone in most brake fluids.  Here's one thread that mentions it:

• RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Don't use Teflon, or any sealant on a "sender" switch. It may break continuity.
  • The body of a hydraulic brake light switch doesn't need to be grounded. Contacts are pin-to-pin.Don't use pipe joint compounds that contain mineral oil. I'd use the Teflon tape. NPT threads are intended to be used with a compound or tape. Dryseal......not.
    F
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

Thanks for all the suggestions!  It turns out that the stop light switch was indeed defective.  The new NAPA switch was the same as the old one being replace.  I did not use any teflon tape or sealent.  Just threaded the thing in place and that's it.  Took about fifteenn minutes to complete the job. 

Regarding manual type stop switches, there's an individual on YouTube who has a video that shows the conversion from the hydraulic stop light switch to the older type manual switch.  I believe the car he used to illustrate this is a '57 Studebaker. 

Dan

This discussion has been closed.