Steering drop arm

pmlmbigpondcom
pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
G'day All,

Does anyone know of a source for NOS steering drop arms for a 1937 steering box ?
I have two and they both have the ball on the end almost cut off by wear

Other wise I will have to have one repaired and I am a bit dubious about that.

Thanks

Phil
Australia

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
     Phil, you didn't tell them your car is right hand drive - the drop arm will face the other way!!!     Like the Irish carpenter had to keep the nails with the sharp end facing him to use on the other side of the house.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I was actually, but then realised that there is after all a difference between l and r.h.d., in that the ball is offset backwards from center.  According to the parts books the  pitman arms are different for all  left and r.h.d. cars between '30 and '54. before that they are interchangeable.  If you were to fit a l.h.d. arm on a r.h.d. car the wheels would be not at the  straight ahead position at the  mid point of the steering box.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Phil I thought I was going to have to make a drop arm and then I found a usable one.

My thoughts about making one were to cut and shape a reasonable facsimile of the arm from 1" flat. 

For the ball I was going to put a tapered hole in the the bottom of the drop arm and bolt in a suitable size ball from a tie rod end. 

At the top I was going to get someone with an EDM to cut the tapered splines.

bobwarddotlaidleyatgmaildotcom

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
     A person with a 1938T here in Adelaide South Australia had the ball welded and then remachined by a local business.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Concerning welding Pitman Arms; Racers have cut & lengthened Pitmam (and Steering Arms) by re-welding them for Yrs to quicken the Car's steering ratio in the days before Quick Steering Gears..They would add a plate as reinforcement and.I never seen one break even though were Stick welded. The most important thing was to let it slowly cool .  (I may still have a '37 Ball that I cut off if needed)...
  • pmlmbigpondcom
    pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser

Thanks All

We are having a new ball with stud made and then "properly" welded on with appropriate heat treatment

Thanks again

Phil

This discussion has been closed.