Jet wheel cylinders

JFromm
JFromm Senior Contributor
Does anyone have a source for front wheel cylinders for a 54 jet liner, or a cross reference from another car?
Thanks

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited October 2014
    Made from Unobtainium, I believe!

Sarah Young says that United 32067-8 are commonly given as the replacement cylinders but that they won't work.  Unfortunately, if you can't find the real deal in a NOS cylinder, you must find a used one and have it re-sleeved.  (Have you checked out her "Jet" website lately?  It's at http://hudsonjet.net/ )
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    John, the search for these elusive wheel cylinder resulted in ZERO finds. All the usual suspects were contacted and all noted these cylinders were impossible to find. The end result of these action was purchase of used parts which were refurbished with new sleeves.
  • JFromm
    They are listed at Rock Auto, but a lot times they are wrong. Anybody get a set from them? If I can't get the cylinders, does anyone have a number for a rebuild kit? If so, I will get cylinders sleeved
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited October 2014
    O'Reilly says to use this kit for the front wheel cylinders ww.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Wheel+Cylinder+Kit/01325/C0066.oap?model=Jet&vi=1435487&year=1953&make=Hudson .  You should verify!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The rock auto cylinders ARE NOT useable. They were ordered and returned. Rock Auto says it was following manufacturers/supplier information. Hollander and other interchange manuals DO NOT list any interchanges. Any kits offered must be scrutinized for bore fit. Many cylinders are so badly corroded that without sleeves the kit will NOT seal.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The problem with Jet  cylinders is not the cylinders themselves, but the pistons.  New cylinders have hollow end pistons, whereas the original Jet pistons are flat ended, and the  shoes rest against these and can float, as they are not pivoting against stops like the senior models.  I have had mine sleeved.  You must use a good quality rubber grease  when installing the pistons to help resist oxide build-up  around them.   Another  point - the shoes with the longer lining go  on the front, unlike the Bendix  brakes on  the senior models. 
    Geoff
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Exactly what we found Geoff!
  • If you find yourself back at the rear wheels, don't give up the pistons or boots from the originals. The cylinders can be had but you need to transfer those parts from the originals.
    Frank
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Made from Unobtainium, I believe!

Sarah Young says that United 32067-8 are commonly given as the replacement cylinders but that they won't work.  Unfortunately, if you can't find the real deal in a NOS cylinder, you must find a used one and have it re-sleeved.  (Have you checked out her "Jet" website lately?  It's at http://hudsonjet.net/ )
    Sarah's website must be down. Can't get on it.
  • Nevada Hudson
    How about White Post Restrorations?
  • JFromm
    Ray,
    White Post can only sleeve it. The search for jet wheel cylinders has hit a dead end. On another note, it doesn't look good for this year's hudson video . After my camera was destroyed at the meet, I had to go to digital format which I don't know how to edit with my editing deck.I can't afford to farm it out based on my small amount of dvd sales.Hopefully I can figure something out. Sorry to disappoint my biggest fan.
  • Nevada Hudson
    edited October 2014

Wow! Sorry to hear that, John.

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Hey guys,  I got a complete new set from Hedley Bennitt of London ONT at the French Lick International Meet.  Contact Hedley, and he'll get you on the right path.

Jerry
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    There is a guy selling Jet parts on ebay, he said give him a call for your needs. I called him about some door latches. He had prompt service. Might give him a call. Here is his contact info. Norm at 6166487357xxxx. Drop the xxx's. Hope this helps.  L Hud
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited October 2014
    There is a fellow selling a Jet part on Ebay that says he has other parts (might be same as above, except I don't know his phone number so don't know).    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121467736900?item=121467736900&viewitem=&sspagename=
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    There is a guy selling Jet parts on ebay, he said give him a call for your needs. I called him about some door latches. He had prompt service. Might give him a call. Here is his contact info. Norm at 6166487357xxxx. Drop the xxx's. Hope this helps.  L Hud
    Larry, if you are referring to the fellow who is parting a jet and selling the parts on eBay,  the wheel cylinders he "HAD" were used and were bought by a fellow chapter member to refurbish.  One is actually now installed on a that members car.
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Hey Ken.  Yes he was the guy parting out a Jet. I found him reasonable on his prices and prompt on delivery. I got a door latch and door strap from him. Noticed he had a Jet with no motor and one he had bought to fix the other, on ebay.   L Hud
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    LHudson

Larry... did you drive you Hudson to the Pigeon Forge meet?   I saw pictures of a red and black Jet.. yours?

• LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Hey Ken, No that was not mine. I only wish mine looked so good. I am slowly working on mine but have not gotten much done. The one at PF was from Knoxville,TN. I was street rodded. It had 350/350 treatment. It had a killer paint job on it.
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser

Trying a pic.

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Any one try adapting stepdown brakes. Maybe change the backing plates?

I've only worked on one Jet and have no memory of the brakes.

• Nevada Hudson
    The problem with Jet  cylinders is not the cylinders themselves, but the pistons.  New cylinders have hollow end pistons, whereas the original Jet pistons are flat ended, and the  shoes rest against these and can float, as they are not pivoting against stops like the senior models.  I have had mine sleeved.  You must use a good quality rubber grease  when installing the pistons to help resist oxide build-up  around them.   Another  point - the shoes with the longer lining go  on the front, unlike the Bendix  brakes on  the senior models. 
    Geoff
    Wonder why Hudson, out of money, designed different wheel cylinders.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I don't think they designed the brake system or the wheel cylinders - they simply went to Bendix and placed an order for the same system that was used on many of the small vehicles of the day, beefed up the the existing system they were considering and went with it.  Some Jeep units, the Henry J, the Willys Areo and the Rambler all had similar systems.
This discussion has been closed.