1950 Hudson Commodore 8 Parts Sources

Roadmaster49
Roadmaster49 Member
edited October 2014 in HUDSON

I purchased a 1950 Hudson Commodore 8 4 door sedan and I need some guidance on the parts vendor sources as I have not owned a Hudson before.  I will join the HET Club this week, but wanted to jump start the vendor catalog and website information.

This car was purchased last fall from an estate sale in Minnesota. The auction was handled by Vanderbrink. I realized right away that I could not take the car and it was offered for free on the AACA website. Luckily for me, a Hudson guy from Iowa went and got it.  Now, after clearing out some cars I reached out to him for 2 reasons. I had the follow up paperwork to help him get a Bonded Title and I wouldn't mind having the car.

We agreed on a price to cover his costs to go get the car.  I then sent a deposit to a well known reputable restoration shop in north central Iowa.  Provided the Hudson is restorable, which the Hudson collector in Iowa that has it now, believes it is, then this car will receive an expensive 5-6 year restoration and at least ONE 1950 Hudson Commodore 8 4 door sedan will be put back into the restored inventory for the ages.

I am 50 years old and when the restoration starts I will be 51.  This Hudson, and a Buick convertible I have will be my last old cars.  I am one of those fellows that purchased project car after project car thinking I could put sweat equity in them and come out ahead, but I always lost interest and sold the cars at a great loss. 

I am doing the Buick convertible and it is a newer one, I think I can do it.  With some help as needed.  I have a fondness for the late 40's and have owned a 1949 Kaiser Virginian (1st hardtop car in US) a 1949 Buick Roadmaster 2 door Sedanette, a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker club coupe, and a 1948 Packard Custom 8. 

I know the new Six was the thing for Hudson over the aged 8 cylinder Commodore but I have always gone for top of the line cars. I specifically targeted a Step Down Commodore 8 in searches and when I found this one, I decided to bid.  I was surprised to win it. When the H.E.T. member that went to get the car picked it up, he said there were piles of perfectly good chrome and parts laying around for Hudson's that were going to the crusher!  That made me cry. 

Anyway that is the back story.  Please provide some parts vendors that would support the restoration of this Hudson so we can put it back on the road. My eyes are wide open on this one, meaning my budget is $1000 a month for 5-6 years.  This car should be a good example of what a 1950 Hudson Commodore 8 was supposed to be off the showroom floor in 6 years, having spent $60,000 to $75,000 to make it that way. 

Thanks

Bryan Moran  

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I may have some stuff that will fit your car. Let me know what your needs are. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Bryan I commend your interest in Hudsons and '50 C8s in general.  I also love the one I have.  I think I remember the one from the auction you are referring to and it was in pretty rough shape.  You may want to do a complete top to bottom review to make sure that for instance the frame is not gone or almost gone, which makes this project questionable, regardless of the money at hand.  You may want to use your current car as a parts donor for a more worthy candidate to bring back to life.  Some parts like rocker panels and such are almost impossible to find.  Just a suggestion before you bite off this project.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I concur with that. Have a very hard look at the perimeter frame, first and foremost. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited October 2014
    Yes, please do as others suggest, and take a hard look at this car before investing thousands.  A very solid, good looking (from 20 ft.) and driveable example of a StepDown can be purchased in the $10,000 - 12,000 range (and sometimes for much less).  You will NOT have to do extensive body work on such a car; maybe just strip the paint and then start restoration from there.

Older guys are now paring down their car collections, and you can benefit by obtaining for a few thousand dollars what they restored for tens of thousands of dollars. They will have done all the heavy lifting.  You get to do the fun stuff.

However, if you get a Rust Queen you will have several thousand dollars invested in the body even before you're ready to start painting, re-chroming, mechanical work and upholstery.

Pay PARTICULAR attention to the perimeter frame in the vicinity of the rear wheels, as Ed suggests.  A bit of rust in the floorboards is fairly easily repaired, but the perimeter frame can be a real bear.

I'm not trying to discourage you.  I think you will enjoy owning and driving your Hudson and enjoy the  friends that you meet in the Hudson club.  But I think you will be happier starting out with something without a lot of holes and dents in it!

Meanwhile, here is a link to my "Hudson Repro Parts" page, listing a few of the many companies offering Hudson repro parts catalogs, as well as individuals who are making small numbers of specific Hudson repro parts: 
    http://www.detailedconcepts.net/Repro_Table.pdf

• 50C8DAN
    Jon the repro link is not working.

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    The front of the perimeter frame can rust as well, behind the front wheels. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Link fixed; thanks, Dan!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for sharing your plans. There is nothing so uncommon that you can not find it for your 50. There are several folks who have significant parts caches who can help you with necessary parts.
    The vehicle in question is built on a unit body which combines a frame and body. Rust is common in these cars, and can be significant. Repair is possible in most cases.

Several articles about the repair of Hudson Stepdown rust can be found at this website.

http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html#RESTORATIONAIDS

Good luck
  • If you need parts let me know. I've got a very decent supply of stepdown parts.
  • Thanks for all the comments.  I will inspect the car when I get to Mr. Williams farm. The fellow who purchased the car is a Hudson club member and he does believe the car can be restored, but I will look it over.

Very few cars are being restored now, that are non running. I agree there can be issues which would cause me to not invest the money and time, and I know there are a few nice cars out there in the $12,000 range.

It sounds like there are few restorable cars left but the reality, in my opinion, is that everything now costs so much. that people just don't want to lose so much money.  I'll know more on Sunday, but it sounds like there are parts sources.

Does SMS or anyone remanufacture the fabrics?  Are the engine kist available?  What about the funky semi-automatics in the step downs, pre Hydromatic?

Brake, suspension parts sources? 

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Bryan,

Take a look around Wildrick Restoration website.  I think you will find the help you need there.

John Forkner
  • 50C8DAN
    Your '50 C8 if it has the funky semi-automatic will say Supermatic on the trunk.  If you are lucky the mechanism will be on the left side of the engine.  Doug Wildrick can make these work and when they do it is like magic.
  • John

Thanks. I saved that website to my laptop.  It sounds like all they do are Hudsons and they look pretty busy.

• 50C8DAN

Also good information.  I pick the car up today with my friend Al. He is headed back to Des Moines from Cedar Rapids Iowa and I need to go to Michigan on a business trip.

I might get to take some photos.  For those who said be careful might not be worth the money to restore, I respect the 'buy the best car you can argument.'   The goal here is over spend what the car is worth so a 1950 Commodore 8 can be placed back in the gene pool so to speak.

I know of very few people doing restorations. Those four door sedans at Wildrick are already upside down. It's tough to justify spending the money I agree, but unless someone does it, then what restored Hudson are out there now, that's about it. 

My garage will have a 1972 Buick in it under restoration or else I might try it.  Like I said I am buying it off a Hudson guy John Williams that said he thinks it can be restored.  John wants to focus on a 1919 Hudson instead.

• If you need parts let me know. I've got a very decent supply of stepdown parts.
    Lance, will do. 
  • Picked the car up yesterday and took my 1st photos. I was heading east so we got the car loaded on my friend's trailer and he headed back to Des Moines.  The fellow that kept the car for one year, John Williams, had the President of the H.E.T. Club there last week and he gave my car his approval for restoration.

It is rough, but I have had worse. It is laser straight, both outer rockers are rusted away. It appears factory undercoated.  Has 80,000 original miles.  needs everything.  John has procured a new hood for the very bad one (rust) on it.  The back seat and trunk are filled with parts.

The left rear door panel in tan is very nice. I saw a lot of original brown/tan stripped fabric on the seats which I believe is original. Dash was complete and original (to the best of my knowledge)  All glass present and accounted for, with no cracks.  The passenger doors would not open.

Here is what I know I need:

1. Grille - what constitutes the grille all parts are bad, The bottom horizontal is rusted through.

2. Front fenders. The front fenders aren't shot but there is rust out around the headlights which would require metal fabrication and expenses which would probably exceed the cost of just buying nice used parts. 

3. Trunk lid, again rust at bottom, can be saved, but if some

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    Where are you located? I have a '51 trunk lid which I think is OK but I would have to check it. I am assuming it fits but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe I have some NOS chrome that will fit your car, as well. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited October 2014
    The following is a link to a site dedicated to helping owners restore Hudson stepdown cars.
    http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html#RESTORATIONAIDS
    Parts vendors are listed on the site.

Also check with Mark Huffman who has tons of NOS and used parts including Eight cylinder unique items.

123huffmanhudsonranch@gmail.com (remove 123 for emailing)
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

I believe there are a pair of NOS fenders on ebay that are reasonable and less than it would cost to repair your's. I have 4 NOS front pieces of the grill "V" not the backs. Also have one of the baffles, lower gravel guards(3 pieces) and I think a good used pair of chrome hood pieces and center piece. Let me know if you have an interest and I'll dig stuff out and get a list. I drive a 50 Commodore "8" just about daily.

Kim

XXXhudsonbaker@myexcel.com

• Kim

Found one NOS right front fender for what the seller described as a "senior" car.  The other fender was described as a junior fender, so I did not save that. 

I purchased a good looking trunk lid off a seller in Albert Lea MN, a salvage yard ebay seller. $100. Pick up next week.

If I can snag that NOS front fender, it was like $225 or so, I think that would still save me some money.

• IvarSweden
    IvarSweden Senior Contributor
    Depending on how far away this is from you it might be a good source of parts.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4667076037.html
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I believe I have a pair of NOS fender ornaments. The ones that go on top. Possibly door handles. If you want I can check the stash. 
This discussion has been closed.