That Stepdown Chrome Window Trim

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
Okay, I'm totally thwarted.

What is the trick to releasing the chrome trim around the windows on a stepdown? I'm prepping my '51 Commodore for a trip to the blaster and I'm totally stuck. I did get the rear window trim to release, but the vent and side windows are giving me fits.

All hints welcome.

Peter Sefton

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Peter:  I am assuming that you are asking how to get the stainless trim that outlines the window opening off the window openings.  If this is correct... the method is as follows:  1.  For the front doors you need to remove the vent windows from the door.  The 1948-54 Hudson body service manual will provide the information on the process to do this task. Since you are blasting the car my suggestion is to remove the remaining window glass including the rear vent windows using the same manual instructions.  When all the glass is removed the stainless molding around the windows can be removed. Each of the moldings has a clip at the bottom.  Using a blunt wood or plastic tool gently tap this clip so it exposes the ends of the molding. Then using a plastic or wooden tool to tap on the edge of the molding, start at the bottom of the window openings and tap one of the exposed edges upward toward the center of the window opening. Continue until you have loosened the molding all around the opening.   Good Luck 
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    Thanks.

This advice is clearer than the manual.

My issue seems to be that the stainless trim frame is glued in with some asphalt-like black gunk that has hardened solid after 63 years. I managed to get one rear vent frame free by soaking it with Goof Off solvent for a couple of hours. With the clip removed and the adhesive dissolved, it came off with a little effort.

Does anyone know something better than Goof-off for this task?

Peter S.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Kerosene should dissolve it if it's asphalt base.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    <I'll give that a try.

PS
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser

I took my back glass out of the 54 needless to say it was deteriated and the the channel rusty. I can clean n repaint but where does one buy the new rubber bushing with the chrome /stainless lip ? Huuuum

C Overton

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Wildrick Rubber Products
This discussion has been closed.