1927 Essex Boat Tail

[Deleted User]
edited October 2014 in HUDSON

I have been an HET member for several years and have restored a 1951 Commodore 8.

I am now restoring a 1927 Essex Boat Tail and need help.

Specifically, I need to understand how the boat tail is positioned on the chassis. From photos of other Essex's Boat Tails that I found on the I/N the rear edge of the of the boat tail should line up with the last cross member of the chassis frame. When I do this I have a 10" gap where the doors would meet the door jam. I also have a problem with the boat tail section sitting flush over the rear axle. It presents a 2" gap in elevation. I can certainly cut and fit to solve these problems but I prefer originality and would like to understand how these were fitted originally. Can anyone help me understand these issues.?

I notice an earlier question relating to a 1927 Essex Boat Tail where photos were sent of the interior wood framing but I can not find the photos. Can anyone send me these photos or tell how to retrieve them?

Thanks .

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Harry, welcome to the Open Forum!  Feel free to post in any of our categories.

Actually, there are several of these '27's in the Club -- why don't you contact some of the owners (all of whom may not yet be on this forum)?  I'm thinking especially of Tom Brintnall and Jim DiGiorgio.   And there are others; check your national roster.

This discussion has been closed.