Placing a stepdown on jackstands

Where are the best points to place jackstands on a stepdown, allowing for stability...keith

Comments

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Rear axle just inside the leaf springs.
    Front suspension as far out as practical on the lower control arms.

• Shake it before you crawl under.   Check and verify the stands are stable,   Hope your using a very hard floor, like concrete.  Good luck.  Bob
  • Thanks.  Getting ready to put my '50 up there for what will be  a looooong time.  My unfamiliarity with the mono-frame and the tendency for flex had me concerned...keith
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    If you place the stands under the rear axel, the wheels will stay in the fender wells, making brake work difficult. Also, be  careful on the control arms. you do not want the shock lower mounts  to support the weight. I lift the car on the frame cross member just behind the front wheel wells and in front of the rear wells. A lot of overhang, but the Hudson frame can take it.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I agree with Ron, Keith.  The Hudson StepDown frame is mighty strong and it can take supporting it where he describes.  I would only hesitate doing this for long periods of time with the convertible body style, but not any of the closed models. 
This discussion has been closed.