1950 Wheel Color

cpr3333
cpr3333 Expert Adviser
edited October 2014 in HUDSON
I know the wheels on my 1950 Hawaii Green Pacemaker Deluxe should be a yellowish cream color. Does anyone know the name of the color or the correct formula?

There is a color called Cornish Cream on the 1950 charts that looks close. Is that the right color?

Thanks.

Chris

Comments

• The only yellowish color I could find offered in 1950 is the Cornish Cream. It was offered on 51 models as well. I would wait for an expert response, but if you know it's yellow, Cornish Cream is the only close match for any yellow in 1950.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    1946-1950 the only color choice for wheel enamel, was "Red" or "Cream".
    Many were repainted by dealers to suit owners desire. 51-54 wheels were
    painted primary body color. (This info. from 1950 Price,Equipment and Option Folder
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor
    edited October 2014

My  Commodore came with red wheels. I worked on a 50 Super Six that had come with cream wheels and matched paint as close as I could. So don't know if the difference is the models. Could go either way and still be correct. But don't think that matters with Hudson folk. Drive and enjoy.

Kim

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    As said above, one could have wheels in red, cream, or body color.  I don't think that the "wheel cream" was same as Cornish Cream, as the wheel cream had been offered for several years before Cornish Cream showed up.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited October 2014
    When they enable us to insert pictures again I will post a picture of the cream yellow wheels on my 50 Pacemaker (50A).  I believe they are unrestored originals.

John Forkner

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

As I understand it, you got red or cream from '48 to '50 depending on body color.  I'm not sure what went with what, but I think there was some rule.  As stated above body color wheels started in '51.

I know my car had cream wheels but I don't know the specific cream. 

I know the cream wheels came before Cornish Cream but could it be the same color?  If not, did you get red wheels with a Cornish Cream body in 1950 or did you get mismatched creams?

I know it ultimately doesn't matter but I'm trying to get as close to factory original as I can.

Chris 

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    "red, crème, or body color were offered"

That's what was posted!
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser

That's what was posted but I'm going to have to disagree.  I don't think body color was available, at least not from the factory, until 1951.

In any case, my original question was whether or not anyone knew the formula for the cream (or crème) color that was used in 1950.  So far, the answer seems to be no.

Chris

• onerare39
    Chris,

I don't have the formula for the color but I can email you a picture of the "original" cream yellow wheels if you would like.  Send me an email at XXXForkner @aol.com (drop the XXX). 

John Forkner

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor

Quick summary of Factory wheel colors for 1946-1949 models:  All "Blues", "Greens" and "Black"

came with "Cream" wheels.  All other colors came with "Red". 1950 changes the wording slightly,

"Standard" wheel colors are  Red or cream.  Breakdown same as 46-49.  Suggesting that one could

order other than Red or Cream if desired.

This info. from ( Price, Equipment and option Folder)  supplied to Dealers and their salesmen by

Hudson Motor Car Co.

Hope this info. is useful.    Sorry, no mixing  info. on the wheel colors,which were Enamels, not Laquer.

"Ric" Pinder

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If I recall... The question was what formula to use... I used rattle can epoxy appliance color "Almond". Works for me.
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    So I take it that IH red is the closest for red and appliance almond is close to the creme..
    I took some old red wheels cleaned and used clearcoat on 1 to to get to get a an idea of what it is
    supposed to look like.
    Larry
  • SuperDave
    If I recall... The question was what formula to use... I used rattle can epoxy appliance color "Almond". Works for me.

33.jpg 364.9K
  • onerare39
    I believe the the wheels on my 1950 Pacemaker (50A) are original.  I have never found any evidence that the car has been repainted or restored.  It's OK if someone wants to prove me wrong.

John Forkner

• SuperDave
    I believe the the wheels on my 1950 Pacemaker (50A) are original.  I have never found any evidence that the car has been repainted or restored.  It's OK if someone wants to prove me wrong.

John Forkner

John, Yours looks just like mine. They sure as heck were not yellow! as I have seen on some restored cars.

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited October 2014

Tried to post photos , won't show. I posted photo earlier. Not worth the aggravation.

• keithfullmeryahoocom
    keithfullmeryahoocom Expert Adviser
    edited October 2014
    ...just an interesting anecdote...  An  older pal of mine, who recently passed on,  mentored me most of my life in all life choices including all of my previous car restorations (late 40's, early 50's). 
     He once told me when I was pondering wheel color,
    "Man, if you didn't  have red wheels, you didn't have s&#*".

In his memory, and since I'm sure he's watching every move, my wheels will be red.

By the way, Dave that wheel, wheel cover, tire combo is georgous.  Are those radials?  Where can a guy get them.

One more "by the way".   What in the world makes me a "expert adviser" that is broadcasted behind my name here.  Just in case anyone considers anything I say, I am anything but!  lol...keith
This discussion has been closed.