Open Forum running on a new version

akcoop
akcoop Administrator
If you notice a difference or changes going on, we upgraded the forum to the latest version. It was a major rewrite and some of the plugins we were using don't work on the new version. Rick will be going through and troubleshooting to see which ones still work. Feel free to comment on what you like and don't link. Also if you experience problems, please let us know.

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    This is a classic example of "Why fix when it ain't broken" ! Now we have to go thru umteen pages to see recent posts? ? ? As it is, I don't like it ! ! !
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Please change the blue letters to black, it would be easier reading. Other than that I don't see much difference. Now I'm already wondering if the New Discussion column was ever on the right side of the screen. ha ha.

Thanks for keeping on top of updates Aaron

Lee O'Dell

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Or light blue letters to dark blue.
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    The reason for the change was the version we were on will not be supported after December. Rick will be looking at the plugins to see which ones will work and may be able to return some previous functionality back to the forum.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Ok folks - We are going to take this a bit slow. There was at least one 'Plug-in' that did not take the move to the new version well, so we are going to do a few at a time, starting with the more simple of them.

I have activated the following 'Plug-ins' this morning:

All viewed: This will allow individual members to mark the discussions 'viewed', so that when new discussions appear they will be more easily seen. It can be found at the top of each page (in the blue area, to the left of the 'Search' function) - 'Mark All Viewed';

File Upload: This will allow members to add pictures to the discussions more easily. It can be found just below the text box, as you are typing a thread or post - 'Attach a file';

Flagging: This will allow members to assist in the policing and identification of SPAM or inappropriate posts. It can be found at each post, to the right of the date of the post - 'Flag';

If you encounter issues as a result of these 'plug ins' being activated, please let me know - either by posting a response here, or sending me a PM.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Thanks to Aaron, Rick et al for the time and effort they put in to keeping this FREE webpage up and running. I'm sure there are other things they would rather be doing with their time.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I'm not getting any photos , the post says see photos. Any body else?
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    I seem to have lost my signature lines
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited October 2014
    cpr3333 - That is one of the 'plug-ins' that have not yet been enabled;

Ken U-Tx, lostmind - Part of the photos disappearing may be related to other 'Plug-ins' not yet activated;
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    As always Aaron & Rick a change needs to be implemented and , as always, it'll take a while to get used to. I was a little surprised at the layout change but I'm feeling it more usable now

Onwards and upwards as the saying goes.

Kudos for both of you & the other unofficial admins for keeping this forum afloat when it could well have drifted off into the mists of time!
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    One thing on my "wish list" is a filter that allows only the posts with actual new comments to be displayed. For example sometimes you need to go onto page 2 to see if there is anything new.

I'd like to be able to either group all the amended comments at the top or have a filter that allows me to see only comments that have new entries in them.

Just my 2 cents ; it's a wish not a gripe :)
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Paul - From what I've experienced, if there are new comments to a thread that you have previously viewed, when you click on the link it will take you to the area where the latest response/post that was viewed (if you are logged-in).

As an example, when clicked-on this thread, it took me straight to your comment here.

It may well depend on the browser that is being used, and may also 'hinge' on the version of that browser (pure speculation on my part).
  • akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Rick, I loaded a couple, but something funky is happening with the WYSIWYG editor.  When I enabled it, the text block disappeared.  Not sure why.  I will load the rest now.

Aaron
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I get a request to save a file when I try to upload a photo.  Then the photo sdeos not upload.  Any Ideas?
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited October 2014

Same here - 'Attach a file' appears to want do download a file, rather than upload a file to the post/thread.  Very odd/weird. 

Have disabled this particular plug-in - hopefully, there will be another that will work.

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    HELP!

I just tried to admit a new Forum member (as a moderator) and haven't a clue as to how the new method works!  Please send information (and let Harry Tucci in the front door, LOL!).

• akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    Rick needs to teach you the new secret handshake or you can just go to openforum.hetclub.org/dashboard/settings to get to your admin settings.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited October 2014
    HELP!

I just tried to admit a new Forum member (as a moderator) and haven't a clue as to how the new method works!  Please send information (and let Harry Tucci in the front door, LOL!).

I'll try to get around to making some instructions when I get a chance.  However, to be honest, I am learning how to get around thru the new format - just like you...  8-}

Oh - I have enabled "Quotes", 'Emotify :)' ), and 'Signatures...

It's there ('Moderator' stuff), just takes a bit to find it.

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Much easier for me to post than before, as discussed at the National breakfast. Works for me!
This discussion has been closed.