gas tank gauge sealing

bartibog1
bartibog1 Expert Adviser
edited October 2014 in HUDSON
I have installed a new gas sending unit. have attempted to seal it twice without any luck . thought I would ask here if there

is a secret to sealing to sealing them not sure this time weather it is leaking at gasket or thru electrical post

any ideas appreciated. this is a 53 stepdown

steve

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Ken,

I'm going from memory here but I don't think that the screw holes go all the way through the tank.  I think they only screw into the flange.

John Forkner

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    John...all sorts of differences exist in the HUDSON parts world. 

Recently I removed, renewed and re installed the fuel tank for my 54 Wasp Club Sedan.  During that process I installed a new fuel gauge sending unit. I manufactured a cork gasket for the sending unit and replaced the original screws with key head screws. My tank did in fact have threaded holes that penetrate the tank fuel gauge sender mounting flange.  As previously recommended, the cork gasket and the threads of the screws were sealed with Permatex. 

Personally, I have NO experience with the sender or mounting screws leaking, but have had two occasions where the pickup tube solder joint cracked where it penetrated the mounting reinforcement. When ever the tank was full, fuel leaked from that point. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My Hudson Jet made a unilateral statement that the gasket had done it's dash, and started leaking from around the pick-up fitting whenever the tank was full.   You would think they would fit a gasket that would last longer than 60 years surely?  Luckily on the Jet both the pick-up and sender unit are accessible without dropping the tank.  The sender unit also decided that it would develop a resistance between the  connection and the  body, and would only register 3/4 full.   The resistance was only 10 ohms difference.  I had to  drill out the rivets and clean the  surfaces and re-rivet back together. 
  • bartibog1
    bartibog1 Expert Adviser
    thanks guys for info
    Steve
This discussion has been closed.