Missing parts - 1957 Hornet

SkyDad
SkyDad Member
edited October 2014 in HUDSON
G'day Everyone:

Besides a bleeder tool, anyone wanna guess what I am missing to finally get brakes on my 57' Hornet? (I keep seeing a brake bleeder tool online. Is this necessary or can I bleed the brakes another way?)

Special thanks to Paul Schuster who has been a tremendous help to me thus far!! Ed Strain in Florida rebuilt the master and booster to practically new! Very impressed! Thank you, Paul!

Enjoy the day everyone!

Mike

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited October 2014
    FYI
    Bleeder Tool is great but Brakes can be bled with an 'assistant's' (My Better half) pumping and holding the brake pedal when told....
    I bleed the front closet to M/Cyl then go to the other side, then onto both rears. It may take a few times rotating around until fluid with no air bubbles.

(Actually I start bleeding at any wheel and found no difference where I started).
  • Thank you kindly. Very much appreciated!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited October 2014
    No Problem.. Forgot to mention that be sure to have the brake lining  adjusted closely before bleeding. 'They' say 14 clicks back from No Rotation, but it can  vary little more or less clicks...Be sure to keep an eye on the M/Cyl Fluid so dont run MT, or will need to start over bleeding....

Another Tip is if this Car sets for periods  Like winter time Yr after Yr) may behoove you to use Silicone Fluid that will Not draw moisture and cause one wheel or another to 'hang up' in the future after setting in layup. Of course, if this is a regular Driver in nice climate regular B/Fluid is sufficient....I use Silicone B/Fluid in every Hudson....
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited October 2014
    I NEVER USE A BLEEDER TOOL JUST SOME ONE TO PUMP THE BRAKE PEDAL 

YOUR MISSING REAR WHEEL SEALS THEY GO BETWEEN THE AXEL BEARINGS AND THE BRAKE SHOES AND A NEW BRAKE LIGHT SENDING UNIT 
  • Thanks, Paul. You are absolutely correct. I ordered all missing parts last evening after I realized my oversight. I will email you directly about the brake light sending unit. Thanks again.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

I have not had good luck with the silicone fluid.  It killed the brake light switch on my 53, twice.  I find Dot 3 fluid works just fine.  No rubber issues.

Jay

• You guys never cease to amaze me. Paul Schuster gave me a call earlier today and your message is nearly word for word what he said. I was writing notes as fast as I could. Paul highly recommended the DOT 5 synthetic but also warned that the old brake switches would eventually fail due to the silicone. There are newer brake light switches apparently designed by Harley Davidson that seem to hold up to the newer synthetic fluids. I would have used the DOT 3 as recommended by the card attached to the rebuilt master/booster when it was returned (see pic). Can't thank you enough for all the tips! I really enjoy the learning process and sincerely appreciate all of the teachers on this discussion board more than willing to help. Hats off!
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Been using the HD switches for nearly a decade in my Hudsons with no problems whatsoever. 
  • hoggyrubber
    hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
    I like to put those bleeders with the check valve in the wheel cyls. it make bleeding a whole lot easier. I can't ever talk my wife into pumping the petal anymore. I guess I have abused that privilege.
This discussion has been closed.