Anyone near Fairborne, Ohio with a Hudson Dana 44?

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited October 2014 in HUDSON
I've been mailing Phil Harris about coming up with a flanged axle kit for the Hudson Dana 44 used in 52-53-54 to replace the tapered axles. He already has a kit for the Studebaker dana 44 but there are some differences that have to be accounted for so the kit for Hudson would need to be different. Phil will need the parts below to get exact measurements for making a Hudson specific kit up. If anyone having the Hudson dana 44, is fairly close and can hook up with Phil it would be great! I can get him one but I'm located in Fl.

Note from Phil - I would need axle, the end of the axle tube, backing plate and hub

PHIL HARRIS
FAIRBORN STUDEBAKER
4300 ST RT 235
FAIRBORN, OH 45324
937-878-1576
FAX 937-878-8172

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Keep in mind that Moser Axle will make Custom Axles...www.moserengineering.com
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited October 2014
    the RenNers are from Dayton Oh. i know they have a lot of parts for sale i'm sure they can fix him up 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    The axle kit that Phil sells is one that he and another guy had engineered at Moser.  The deal is instead of buying one they bought a bunch of them.  I have one of the kits in my '64 R1 Studebaker Hawk and it is a real quality piece of work.   So yes Moser will make something but you need to know what you want, and then paying a one or two off will not be cheap.  If I were doing it I would work through Phil, as he is as honest is the day is long and a good person to work with.  If you could buy 10 or 20 units it would be a lot less than one.
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    Someone up that way in the Stude group already has these measurements and know what it takes to do the change. My son and someone (I don't remember the name) in the Stude group collaborated on this. I will have to talk to him(Hudsonator)  to get the specifics. This subject has already been adressed to some degree. Hope this helps.   LHud
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Why is this necessary? There are thousands of Hudsons with the original axles in them.

Just curious.

• Kdancy
    edited October 2014
    all tapered type axles are weak in the "keyed" area. They would break in this area when new but with age it is more of a problem. I think Studebaker used them until 64. I've done 4 of these conversions myself after seeing a friends Stude break an axle and trash a fender. He was lucky more damage wasn't done.
    Flanged axles eliminate that issue.
    Famous Stude racer, Ted Harbit who raced the "Chicken Hawk" 51 coupe, is the person responsible for developing the flanged axles with Moser. he later sold out to Phil Harris, owner of FAIRBORNE Studebaker.
    I might add that lack of regular axle maintence probably contributes to axle breakage as well.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29412

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/archive/index.php?t-2292.html
  • Kdancy
    I found a link to discussion of this back in 2006.
    Anyone know what happened?
    http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/5129/spicer-axles-with-big-engines/p2
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    The Fairborn conversion did not happen. We rebuilt a 307 Dana out of a hydromatic and put in the 49.  It has been in the car for 9 yrs. now and has done great. The 308 handles it with ease.  L Hud
This discussion has been closed.