1991 video -- driving a forgotten part of Rte. 66 in a Hudson

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited October 2014 in HUDSON
Here's an interesting video shot from the front seat of a 1950 Hudson in 1991, by H-E-T member Dan Uscian.   The scene is an abandoned portion of old Route 66, in Illinois.  (Dan, if you are part of this Forum I hope you don't mind my posting this here.  Or, maybe you already have done so!)

http://route66news.com/2014/02/18/trip-memory-lane-1950-hudson/

Comments

• Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    I love to travel on the old 66. Have not been on that section. Thank you for sharing the Route 66 film.
    Lee O'Dell
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Neat video.  66 is, as the man say, 2000 miles of memories.  A buddy of mine and I drove it from the middle of Illinois to the west coast back in 1953.  It was in pretty good shape then, but not to far removed from the 1930's. The road had a lot of good things going for it - but it had a dark side too.  As you can see in this video it was quite narrow and this was true for a lot of it in 1953.  It was a killer highway - a lot of head on collisions and other traffic accidents.   I'd like to make the trip one more time - but I know from driving a section of old U S 40 in PA, WV and Ohio that my family drove going out to the Dayton, OH, area that 66 wouldn't be the same.  I pretty much didn't remember the section of 40 that I drove back in the 1990's.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Great footage, hypnotizing. I want to go there.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Great footage.  Thanks for posting.  Enjoyed it.  Is that old part still there?  
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Russell, from what little I know about the current Rt 66 I would say that old alignment still exists.  There are a lot of old sections still around - and this applies to most of the old U S interstate highways (U S 20, 30, 40 etc).
    I've found many old chunks here and there in the Memphis area having driven both U S 61 from Missouri down to Clarksdale, MS and U S 51 from Decatur, IL to central Mississippi.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I noticed that he had a rubber dash mat. I think I have one that has a small piece missing. Never got around to looking into having them duplicated.  Nuther unfinished project...
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited October 2014

Hey John, thanks for posting my Hudson Rt 66 video on this forum!  This portion of the original section of Illinois U.S. 66 still exists and the town of Lexington, IL opens it for special occasions such as car cruises.

Also, yes, that was a rubber dash mat (it came with the 1950 Hudson Pacemaker Deluxe sedan when I bought it back in 1983) that protected the dash's "burlap" finish from the sun's rays.

Dan

This discussion has been closed.