1957 Hornet - General Brake Drum question for all cars

SkyDad
SkyDad Member
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
I am in the initial phase of restoring my 57 Hornet Super. I started with entire brake overhaul, and was told the drums needed replaced all around. I decided to find someone who could turn them slightly with a lathe, but he could only machine the front drums. The rear drums did not fit his lathe. After several phone calls to find someone who had a smaller lathe to turn the rear drums, a machinist, who also collected classic cars, advised NOT to turn them at all because if the specs fall outside the recommended width, I would have far more challenges finding new drums. He recommended sanding them down with wet sandpaper, or a power drill with a sanding bit. I'm looking for some guidance from you experts out there, please. Three questions: 1. If I can find someone who can turn the rear drums, should I turn those as well? 2. If I can achieve same results with sanding and elbow grease, what does everyone recommend? 3. Did I mess up by turning the front drums already? (They look great, but I hope that I didn't mess up the specs.) Thanks in advance for any assistance on this topic! - Mike

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    MIKE I HAVE BRAKE DRUMS BOTH FRONT AND REAR THAT I TOOK OFF YEARS AGO AND HAD TURNED THEY ARE ALL WITH IN SPEC YOU HAVE ME EMAIL OR CALL ME THE SIZE IS PRINTED ON THE DRUM THAT YOU CAN NOT GO OVER 
  • Thank you, Paul!
This discussion has been closed.