Electric power steering assist

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
I have almost finished with the power assist conversion, I think it fits well behind the dash of the 52 Wasp.
The biggest issue was the shifter tube rod that goes back and forth when you push and pull the shift lever
on a standard shift car, you have to build a bridge to go up and over the electric power assist unit thus
the rod has to be replaced with a cable to go with the bridge. I will order the cable Monday.
I have one request, if anyone has a double lever shifter tube out of the car (swb) I need to double check the original length
of the shift tube to compare with the one I made with bridge welded in. I lost my measurement in my paperwork!
(the rod goes inside this tube and goes back and forth in it)

Comments

• bartibog1
    bartibog1 Expert Adviser
    Kerry hope you are documenting all yr work with pictures and notes. I have a 53 super wasp and believe all parts are same. and sure would like power steering
    Steve
  • Kdancy
    I am documenting and taking pictures. I'll do a write up when finished. Bart, I also have a 53 SuperWasp coupe that iplan on adding the PS assist to when finished.
  • Rob Fayette
    Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
    Kerry,
    Today I noticed I have a steering assembly that is out of the car. It has a tag on it that says 53 Wasp.  I measured the length of the shifter tube to be about 37 1/4 inches.
    Rob
  • Kdancy
    edited September 2014
    Ok, I found my orginal notes, I measured 38 7/16" total length. Rob, would you double check your measurement? I may have held the tape at 1" mark .
    Also, is yours for a standard shift?
  • Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    Kerry,

I saw one of these units installed in a Packard yesterday--amazing how easily the wheel turned.
    It was mounted near the end of the steering shaft in the engine compartment.

Was this not an option in the Hudson?

• Rob Fayette
    Rob Fayette Expert Adviser
    Kerry,
    I'm sorry for my sloppy detective work!  Yes it does appear to be for an automatic and not only that but I measured wrong anyway.  It measures about 31 1/4 not 37 1/4 inches.  Here are some pics with a ruler nearby.  Unfortunately the ruler covers up the part that shows the part that makes it for an automatic.  I'm having a bad day...LOL.

Rob
  • Kdancy
    Quadster- I saw pictures of that one. Hudson only offered ps in 54. The parts are not easy to find and need rebuilding if you do. Very costly to find, rebuild and install.
    Thanks Bob, that is what I suspected with your measurement. I will be doing one of the conversion on an automatic as well.
  • Kdancy
    Ok, after bending-welding the new tube length is 32 7/6" so it didn't add much at all.
This discussion has been closed.