Hudson engine stands?

keithfullmeryahoocom
keithfullmeryahoocom Expert Adviser
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
What kind of a contraption have you guys used for an engine stand for these old gals.  I have several of the rotating style built with the shorter V-8s' in mind, but man, the eight out of my Commadore is sooo long that I'm sure it'll need support on that cantilevered end.  (Your sixes aren't much shorter)

Pictures would be wonderful.
Thanks, in advance...keith

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Use two.  One on each end.  
  • Duh!   I didn't think of that!  It oughta work, tho.  Thanks, Russell.  Keith
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    The guy that rebuilt my Buick 8 used a diesel engine stand.  I am guessing the Buick 8 and H308 are probably in the same ballpark of weight but the buick is longer.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I know of a fellow with several original (Hudson factory) engine display stands for sale. Could possibly be used for working on an engine but not specifically designed for that purpose.  He is going to send me a photo and I'll post it on the forum as soon as I get it.  He could bring them to Hershey.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    I did the "use two, face to face" approach.  At the stage where I need access to the ends of the engine, I remove the "rotary risers" and install other support  brackets..
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Keith there are obviously many different methods and preferences and opinions on what is or is not the ideal stand.  For me I have an old four wheel stand as well as a four wheel engine run. Both have been used for Hudson and other engine builds and post build run in.   The following is a stand that one of the members or our chapter put together ... it handles a Hudson Big Six very well

Comments about the stand from the builder...

Attached are pictures of my
    new Hudson engine stand. I started with a Harbor freight 2000 lb stand which is
    a joke. I moved the post back , welded in a piece of angle , added a square
    tube brace up front and angle iron from the post down to the rear legs.  I
    adapted a winch that gives me a 4 to one reduction and lengthened the handle so
    you can roll the engine safely. The other stand that i built is like this
    without the winch. It supports the engine very solid even with all the stuff on
    the engine. The new stand has folding legs so it will take up less space to
    store. I used a 25% off coupon and it was already on sale for $129.  
    I have a bunch of lighter stands but even Studebaker V/8 engines get pretty
    heavy with everything on them and the stands feel overloaded. The 
    Hudson engine is so
    long and heavy you need a stout stand

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    I have been using a ATD Tools #7479 for a few years now and it will do the job. Chinese built but sold off tool trucks too,a step up from Horrible Freight but likely the same manufacture building to a different price point. I like that all the casters swivel and the geared head. Can't brag about the quality but the price was right. Mines had a fully dressed(but Clifford head and header) 308 on it for over a year now.

• Although not very practical for the average guy, I have made an attachment for my small electric fork lift that attaches to the water manifold bolt holes on the splasher sixes and eights or the distributor side of the 202s and big sixes. Granted, it doesn't allow access to anything on those sides but there isn't really anything I need to get to anyway that can't wait 'til it's dis-mounted.
    The worm-gear drive allows continuous rotation in either direction with a cordless drill. My back loves it.
    Shown in photos with a '51 8 mounted on it.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Frank, what is the gear reducer ratio?
  • My concern about holding up the engines was as much about the  the cantilever pressures on the bolts and the end of the engine casting.  It looks like a LOT of weight against just the four bolts on the end!   
    Pictures tell the story though, and I guess I can quit worrying.  I have a very beefed up rotisserie stand built in the same style as Old Farmer's and Twin H's that will hold up the engine if the bolt connection is satisfactory.  Thanks for  the pictures...keith
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I'm with you, Keith.  Pains me to think of the stress on those two upper bolts.
This discussion has been closed.