Stepdown manual shifter question

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited September 2014 in HUDSON
I am installing the electric PS assist unit in a 52 Wasp column. I need to cut the manual shifter tube and build a "go around" so that when the transmission is shifted the "go around" doesn't hit the electric motor as it completes its arc.
My question is how many degrees does the shifter tube move while shifting ?

Comments

• Kdancy
    edited September 2014
    Ken, one thing at a time!
    Yes, I have the steering assist already installed in the shaft-column. It has the T-86 duel lever transmission.
    I like this set-up as I dont have to install pumps, hoses and special pulley. The only downside is the horn wire (no through hole) and the shifter tube, I see at this point.
    It appears the correct gemmer gear has been reproduced, I'm waiting to hear back from the company.
    I'll shoot for a 45 degree arc for the bridge.
    Thanks!
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    edited September 2014
    Ken, one thing at a time!
    Yes, I have the steering assist already installed in the shaft-column. It has the T-86 duel lever transmission.
    I like this set-up as I dont have to install pumps, hoses and special pulley. The only downside is the horn wire (no through hole) and the shifter tube, I see at this point.
    It appears the correct gemmer gear has been reproduced, I'm waiting to hear back from the company.
    I'll shoot for a 45 degree arc for the bridge.
    Thanks!
    Who is reproducing the gear? Please keep us informed.  My 51 Pacemaker steering has a 'catch' in it and I have a 54 Wasp gear I just took the cover off and it has a miner pit starting.  I know there are companys that rebuild them at much expense, but if parts were avaliable I can do it myself.

I have been told that the 1954 will fit my 51, knowing I have to change the tube/shifter over.  Does anyone know the difference as the Hollender interchange listed 1950-1953 as one but listed 1954 as by itself. Did Hudson upgrade the box, different ratio better material ????  I was also just on the Lares Website and they list it as 50-53 and then 54 by itself..

Jim Spencer
    Western New York Chapter
  • Kdancy
    Jim, Midwest manufacturing said they would rebuild it with new roller and new worm gears, install new bearings and seals- for 375.00. I have a spare box I am sending them for rebuild.
  • J Spencer
    J Spencer Expert Adviser
    edited September 2014
    That seems like a very fair price. I will definately give that serious consideration.  wonder what shipping would be? Thanks for the info.

This discussion has been closed.