1934 coupe hood needed

[Deleted User]
edited September 2014 in Parts & Pieces
I am restoring a 1934 Hudson Terraplane coupe and I need a hood for it.  If you have one or know where I might find one, please let me know.

I am restoring it with a few modern updates for reliability and safety for a daily driver.

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    IS THE CAR A K OR A KU?

K IS SHORT WB 
    KU IS LONG WB SAME AS HUDSON S
  • I don't know which model it is.  How can I tell?
  • Well I guess the hood I have is the KU because it is too long by about 5" for the length between the cowl and the grill shell.  My hood had 6 doors on each side that can be opened if that helps. photo attached.

I really appreciate you help.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    The brown one on the right is a 34 Terraplane K coupe (next to 35 Hudson convertible)  - no "doors that can be opened."  The white one claims to be a 34 T KU, as does the black one.  So, if those are KUs, then hood vents look the same for 34 T coupe K and KU.  Yours looks to be a Hudson hood; not Terraplane, no?
  • That is very good information.  My car is registered as a 34 Hudson coupe not a Terraplane but doesn't list a model.  I am getting the feeling this car was pieced together.  My right front fender has the spare tire well just like the brown one.  Someone moved the fenders forward to accommodate the longer hood.  This caused the fender to body fit problems I am trying to correct by replacing the hood and bring the fenders back where they are suppose to be.  I am still looking for a K model hood.

Attached is a photo of a 34 coupe with the doors in the hood side panels but I don't know if it is a Hudson or a Terraplane.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The chassis serial number should tell what model the car was.  At least originally.
  • My serial number is 5124717.  Can you tell from that what it started out as?
  • My 35 Terraplane # is 5130124
  • Do the Hudson and Terraplane use the same serial number sequence?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2014
    If I'm reading Alex Burr's numbers correctly, your car is  a 1935 Terraplane "Special"  (model "G")  whose first two serial number digits are "51".  The sequence number is 24717.  The other passenger car model for 1935 was the "Deluxe" (model "52"). 

My guess is that the Deluxe is basically the same car with some minor trim and mechanical upgrades from the Special.  It's possible that the Deluxe has, for example, two wipers while the Special has but one.  However, no doubt someone will jump in here with that sort of information.

The first two digits indicate the model number, and the remaining digits are the sequence number for that model.  Or so I believe!  So, your car was the 24,717th Terraplane "Special" model off the line.

Here are some 1935 coupes:

(This may be an English model, as the wiper is on the right side as is -- no doubt -- the steering wheel.  I'm not sure if the chromed headlight bucket is standard; it might be from a Hudson.)

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Having had a 34 Terraplane K coupe for 41 years, I guess I can understand how Hudson's nomenclature might confuse people.  First off, let's not confuse 1934 with 1935, and let's not confuse a Hudson coupe with a Terraplane coupe ...in 1934, look for different hood ornament, hood, hubcaps, taillights, etc. between Hudsons and Terraplanes.  Between 1934 and 1935 Terraplanes, see hood ornaments below.
    You know the drill; something like ..."Essex Terraplane" from 1932, then dropped Essex and went to just "Terraplane" in 1934, then to "Hudson Terraplane" in 1938.
    So, if that blue resto-mod picture is the car, then it looks like 1935, as noted above.
  • Thank you for the great information.  My hood ornament is the first one pictured.  It has the circle with the hexagon shaped center with Terraplane.

What is the difference between a Hudson and a Terraplane?  On the lower right front corner of my body there is a tag rivited on that says "Hudson Built Steel Body".  Did Hudson make the Terraplane?  Is the Terraplane a cheaper model of the Hudson line?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited October 2014
    Yes, Hudson built the Terraplane.  Yes, it's the cheaper model.  I wasn't aware until now that Terraplanes had the tag.  I thought only Hudsons did.
  • I am beginning to believe my car has been pieced together from Hudson and Terraplane parts.  It is titled as a 34 Hudson.  I still have not been able to find the K model hood I need.

Is anyone interested in the original speedometer I removed?
This discussion has been closed.