Frozen motor, how to separate from Hydromatic?

gearheart
gearheart Member
edited September 2014 in HUDSON

I recently scored a parts car 53 Hornet. It has a siezed 308 bolted to a dual range. I am trying to separate, as the motor is a pretty big chunk for my cherry-picker by itself... I pulled the bellhousing bolts and it opened a quarter inch gap and that's it.

The internet says I also need to pull the 32 bolts around the fluid coupler into the flywheel.

My question is how to do this with a stuck motor? Is there anything I am missing? It seems stuck pretty solid, stored with the head off for an unknown number of years... I put a socket and breaker bar on the crank pully bolt after soaking the pistons in squirrel pee for a week = not budging.

Thanks for your insight

Mike

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the forum, Mike. I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, but I'm sure someone will come along and give you some good thoughts on this , probably in the coming day.

Meanwhile, feel free to post questions or comments in any of our forum categories.  I don't know if you're currently a member of the H-E-T Club but you may wish to consider joining. http://www.hetclub.org/
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited September 2014
    Is the transmission frozen? If not, it comes down to rotating the whole transmission around to loosen all the torus screws. Not the easiest, but I did it with everything rolling around in the back of my truck. Other way is to pull the engine pan and start loosening up the bottom end, then pull the crank and trans together.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    YOu can take a sledge to the bellhousing and break it into pieces. Bellhousings are easy to obtain for hydra's. have done this this many time to get to the 32 bolts out to seperate the two
  • Now those are some great ideas! Thanks!

Jon B, I am a member of the HET forum but haven't joined the real club yet. My computer will not open the HET website anymore. I am working on a 52 Hornet and picked this other one up for parts/spares.

Grim, I don't know if the trans is frozen or not. Anybody have a guess on the combined weight? I am thinking about going for it and trying to pull both at the same time.

Russmaas, I hadn't thought of that but will add it to the reserve bag of tricks as this is only a spare drivetrain.

• akcoop
    akcoop Administrator
    I had to pull all the mains and rods and lifted the block off the crank.  The crank just stuck out from the transmission.  I wanted the hydromatic however.

Aaron
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor

Engine and hydro weight approx. 850 lbs.
    Lee O'Dell
  • Thanks guys! The drivetrain is out but not seperated yet. I did bolt it back together for support too. Looking forward to teardown.

Do you have any 308 motor build write-ups you would recommend?

Last question, when did 308's get 1/2 inch head bolts?

This discussion has been closed.